Communication Failure - File Systems

    • OMV 3.x

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Communication Failure - File Systems

      Hello, I'm just a lurker here in this forum until I decide to register because of my problem after googling and no resolution of this problem. I already tried version 2.x. Now, I decided to upgrade and clean install version 3.x

      As days passed by, I noticed that my file system tab freezes and displays communication failure



      I just noticed this since I installed docker. So I remove it and still nothing happens, the error is still there.

      I hope you can help me solve this problem. Thank you.
      don't worry, be happy. :D
    • Hello,
      today I got the same error as @tjqt06 has discribed in posting no. 1. I did not made any change to the OMV configuration bearbeiten.

      Exactely the same error message "communication error" was displayed while trying to load "Storage -> File systems". If I tried to close the message box it was immediately displayed again. Actually I do want to unmount an USB drive, but this was no more possible in this situation.

      During this time a ZFS pool scrubbing was running, which creates a heavy load on the disks. It must be related with the error, but after scrubbing was finished, everything was fine again. The file systems overview was generated after a short waiting time and no more error message.

      Could it be that some timeouts are set to short?
      OMV 3.0.90 (Gray style)
      ASRock Rack C2550D4I - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1)- Fractal Design Node 304
    • My board has a CPU with four cores, the cpu usage was aprox. at 50% in this situation. I would not say that it is a weak hardware plattform for OMV.

      But I would expect that also in such a situation it should be possible to work with the WebUI. It is not, because it´s not possible to get rid of the "communication failure" message, even going to another menu in the OMV webUI.
      OMV 3.0.90 (Gray style)
      ASRock Rack C2550D4I - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1)- Fractal Design Node 304
    • Personally, I never see this error even on an RPi. It is hard to say what is causing it. CPU usage is not always a good indicator. What is the 1 minute load and iowait? And even though you have four cores, they are relatively underpowered atom cores and a zfs scrub is a challenge for that cpu.
      omv 4.0.14 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.13 backports kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.1
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • ryecoaaron wrote:

      Personally, I never see this error even on an RPi.
      That is possible of course.

      ryecoaaron wrote:

      they are relatively underpowered atom cores and a zfs scrub is a challenge for that cpu
      Usually I have absolutely no performance problems with this board. Even when the zfs scrub is running the WebUI has a good responsiveness except for "storage -> file systems".
      For me this is not a pure performance issue. It is the manner how the file system overview is determind. But even if it should be possible to leave the window in order to go on working.

      Futhermore there are some other threads here people were reporting the same issue.
      OMV 3.0.90 (Gray style)
      ASRock Rack C2550D4I - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1)- Fractal Design Node 304
    • cabrio_leo wrote:

      Futhermore there are some other threads here people were reporting the same issue.
      Yep. I have seen them but there is usually a reason for the issue. A lot of them are on underpowered ARM boards. Other people are viewing the web interface via wireless and that can cause the issues. I can't get the web interface to show these errors even if I try on my dual core NUC. I guess you will just have to file a bug report. I can't help with something I can't replicate.
      omv 4.0.14 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.13 backports kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.1
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • ryecoaaron wrote:

      I guess you will just have to file a bug report.
      Already done: Bugtracker

      ryecoaaron wrote:

      I can't help with something I can't replicate
      If something is replicable half of the job is almost done ^^
      Therefore I am always trying to mention the boundary conditons, to make it a little bit easier to reproduce.
      OMV 3.0.90 (Gray style)
      ASRock Rack C2550D4I - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1)- Fractal Design Node 304
    • cabrio_leo wrote:

      If something is replicable half of the job is almost done
      Therefore I am always trying to mention the boundary conditons, to make it a little bit easier to reproduce.
      This could still be a browser-side problem. If something is causing a javascript function to be in error, it could cause this situation. Have you looked at the F12 debugger? Do you have any ad blockers or virus scanner plugins installed? I still think this is a problem with select setups since plenty of people are using OMV and zfs without this issue.
      omv 4.0.14 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.13 backports kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.1
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • ryecoaaron wrote:

      Have you looked at the F12 debugger?
      No, the next time I will do that.

      The last days I have observered another event, which causes this error message.

      The six disks in my pool are going into standby after 20 minutes. When they are in standby and I go to 'File Systems' I hear them starting up one after another. I don´t remember to have configured this intentionally, maybe it is configured somewhere in the BIOS? Therefore it takes 30 seconds roughly until all disks are online again. In the meantime the communication failure box is written to the screen.
      If the disks are online everything is OK again.

      Therefore for me the reason is quite clear: The programm expects an answer in a given period of time, it doesn´t wait long enough simply.

      Should be fixable quite easily.
      OMV 3.0.90 (Gray style)
      ASRock Rack C2550D4I - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1)- Fractal Design Node 304
    • cabrio_leo wrote:

      The six disks in my pool are going into standby after 20 minutes. When they are in standby and I go to 'File Systems' I hear them starting up one after another. I don´t remember to have configured this intentionally, maybe it is configured somewhere in the BIOS? Therefore it takes 30 seconds roughly until all disks are online again. In the meantime the communication failure box is written to the screen.
      This is probably very difficult to fix since the screen queries the drives which wakes them up. Until the call to get all the data is done (it is waiting on the drives), it doesn't return anything to the web interface causing the error.

      cabrio_leo wrote:

      The programm expects an answer in a given period of time, it doesn´t wait long enough simply.

      Should be fixable quite easily.
      I disagree. A timeout to accommodate for disks spinning up would have to be long. You may only have six disks but what if someone had 30? People that had a drive failing would have to wait this new, ridiculously long timeout to see the error.
      omv 4.0.14 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.13 backports kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.1
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!