Things went South after update

• Hello,

I've got Banana Pi with OMV 3 - Armbian based (https://simplenas.com/download/bananas-simple-system) (+ couple HDDs connected).

About 4 days ago I have decided to update OMV. Update didn't finish, error came up in progress window. After restart keeps rebooting. I've tried get to get it fixed.. last attempt was to get backup files (from OMB backup function) back on SD card but with no success - is it just copy and paste? After 4 days I have surrender.

I've started new installation of OMV 3. First I did apt-get update and upgrade. Went OK.
    When I came to OMV updates there was still some left updated. So I have run them but error came up in progress window,.. again. I have restarted OMV after while. Fortunately at least boots up but unfortunately I cannot access anymore OMV web interface.
    Now on apt-get upgrade I get this progress/errors:

My goal is to get working updated installation of OMV 3. Or some kind of state of update which is stable.

Also would I win bit more with USB flash drive instead SD card? For better/faster backup recovery...

• My goal is to get working updated installation of OMV 3.

https://sourceforge.net/projec…s/Other%20armhf%20images/

Please use the official Banana Pi image instead (also based on Armbian but with a lot of performance tweaks and flashmemory plug-in enabled by default) and follow the initial steps here: https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/18991 (Etcher, SD card check, be somewhat patient since Banana reboots one time automatically but this should not take longer than 3 minutes)

Just tested it. Full 'armbianmonitor -u' output: http://sprunge.us/VcTQ

Update log:

@cyryllo: Care to replace your outdated OMV image where you most probably fiddled around manually with a link to the official one that got created from scratch, contains the performance optimizations and works?

• jessie-backports active.

And as soon as you remove this from sources.list upgrade works flawlessly ('armbianmonitor -u' output from @'cyryllo''s broken SimpleNAS image).

@houndhunger: you should be aware that official OMV images contain a lot of tweaks wrt both performance and 'health' (eg. enabling/improving flash-memory plugin to reduce wear on SD cards unlike the SimpleNAS images you use now). Performance comparison: Building OMV automatically for a bunch of different ARM dev boards

• Thanks tkaiser. Working on it.

-UPDATE-
    OK, so that was it, I forgot where to get right OMV for my Banna Pi.
    Now I have to go through all and try hard to do settings for all services I had before. Even SFTP is not working yet... Oh well, I'll get there after hours spent.

I won't even try to fix the broken OMV 3 which I mentioned on beginning (I'll still have image saved..). I'm total Linux noob trying to run one.

When correct settings done / found as it goes and progress - notes, notes, notes taken and screenshots... That is my way to survive next disaster, I hope.
    And ISO image of SD card for backup.

• Hello again,

It is more Linux question then OMV (as half of the things disused here ;)):
    I was about to finish all settings... And very next thing tonight I was going to backup and extend partition because SD card was tight on space... I restarted Banana Pi at midday and I cannot make it boot anymore.
    My guess is that it is size related issue and something got corrupted. Is there any boot fix? If there is no simple solution, then I have to start all over AGIAN...

• My guess is that it is size related issue and something got corrupted. Is there any boot fix?

Without serial console output it's hard to tell.

During boot and even reboot the SD has not been resized.

If it's one of the images from https://sourceforge.net/projec…s/Other%20armhf%20images/ then rootfs gets resized to 3.6 GB and a third partition using almost all the remaining space gets created. The 3.6 GB are not my idea but based on @ryecoaaron 's work for Raspberries and ODROIDs. Can you provide output from 'sudo armbianmonitor -u'?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The 3.6 GB are not my idea but based on @ryecoaaron 's work for Raspberries and ODROIDs.

I arrived at that size originally when I wanted the images to work on a 4 GB SD card (with no third data partition) and I didn't have any long running OMV boxes using more 3GB. It is fine for all of my purposes but it is small for people who have plex installed.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I arrived at that size originally when I wanted the images to work on a 4 GB SD card (with no third data partition) and I didn't have any long running OMV boxes using more 3GB. It is fine for all of my purposes but it is small for people who have plex installed.

Ok, now I understand. Armbian images have a reduced rootfs size (real size + 30%) and we resize on first boot. For the OMV variants I defined the size you used: https://github.com/armbian/bui…ze-image.sh.template#L122

But maybe it's better to change this in the future? On the other hand since we're getting soon more boards supported by mainline kernel I'm also thinking about switching from ext4 to btrfs with zlib compression (since space savings are nice and there's no performance drop) and then we're ending up with a fixed size rootfs anyway since I lack patience/time to test btrfs partition resize.

• What am I doing wrong...
    I have suspicion that some bit of my hardware malfunctioning... I swap SD card for new install...
    1st I do login to OMV web interface - Update Management - click Check.
    Select all packages and hit click Upgrade.
    Message pops up "En Error cured".
    After page refresh seems like Updates will proceed but not because I'm getting "Read-only file system" messages.
    I thought it is write protection switch on SD card, but I don't know...
    I'm desperate, can't get stable start of OMV install. Not even close to be completing desired install I had.
    Is there dumb step by step install OMV 3 for Banana Pi?

• because I'm getting "Read-only file system" messages.

Filesystem corruption most probably due to crappy/broken/counterfeit SD card. This is one of the two reasons why people struggle with SBCs: SD card crappiness and underpowering: https://forum.armbian.com/inde…other-people-experiences/

Banana Pi also uses the shitty Micro USB DC-IN connector so it's a support nightmare anyway... http://www.cnx-software.com/20…-boards-or-charge-phones/ (read the comments too and visit every link please)

• So next time to go super-cheep NAS with lots of headaches for me, what do you recommend which NAS pc like Banana Pi would you recommend? And running OS from USB? I think. I like bargain solutions but I'm hitting my numb-user boundaries quite enough.
    I have googled few, but which is (ARM maybe) popular today with good support in your opinion?

What tool would you recommend to test SD card?

Excuse me that this thread happen to be now generic, answering my questions...

• I have decided to go one by one package to install.
    After 9th of about 100 I have got this:

What would you recommend?
    Temporary solution - restart... But this is not stable... I need some new HW I guess...

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von houndhunger () aus folgendem Grund: Temporary solution

• What tool would you recommend to test SD card?

The usual suspects. Just check the first paragraph here: https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/18991

If you again and again get read-only filesystem then either your Banana is under-volted like hell (thanks to shitty Micro USB connector and 'average USB cables') or your SD card is already dying.

If you get a genuine Samsung EVO+ then there's nothing wrong running the OS from SD card. And wrt 'NAS SBC' alternatives: ROCK64 really looks promising, same with ESPRESSOBin (though the board I bought hours ago seems to be defective :( )

• Connector issues quite certain - easy to bump to micro USB connector...
    My micro USB connector cable from adaptor is... is not OK... I'll give it try with different adaptor. Hopefully I'll be back on track, or it means USB connector on board is broken.

• Offizieller Beitrag

But maybe it's better to change this in the future?

Probably. I was thinking we should target 16gb SD cards? I'm also fine with btrfs+compression. I have been using that combo on a backup drive for over a year without issues.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I find out there are two micro USB connectors - one on short side next to SD card, one on long side next to SATA. I was using the one next to SD card. I swapped it and also power supply - the same "Read-only file system" report. I'll give it couple more attempts with couple more SD cards and see if reports "Read-only file system" on Upgrade (when I get home from work)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!