Current Mobo Dead , Searching for a new Mobo.

• Hello,

I`ve been runing OMV on my old HTPC mobo (Asrock A330ION) until the LAN port died .. :(

I want to reactivate the NAS with a new mobo (maybe to use the DDR3 RAM) and I want it to be cheap as the ION was ok with the performance .. the 1080p films woked via SMB fine and I could access other files from the tablets just fine.

I`m lookin for a solution with with low power consumption and integrated processor and I found these in the same price ~55USD:
    Asrock Q1900M
    BIOSTAR A68I-350 DELUX

Are the mobos worth considering ? or is there something beeter in the price range?

• Sometimes you can just move on...:) Okay I just found this one and thought it was cool.

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• Just the NIC died?
    Go for a PCIE-NIC (if not used yet) or something like http://www.ebay.com/bhp/usb-ethernet-adapter

HTH

I have something like that Edimax USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter but I dont know linux very much and I could not configue it ..

I`ve plugged the adapter in and wanted to execute the steps that are in the guide:
    [root@...]# tar -xf DRIVER_SOURCE_PACKAGE.tar.bz2
    [root@...]# make
    [root@...]# make install
    [root@...]# modprobe usbnet[root@localhost template]# insmod ax88179_178a.ko
    [root@...]# rmmod axax88179_178a

but it dont work out :( so I moved to buy a new mobo .. easier :)

• Just a note on the HP Gen10 microserver. There are all sort of new and new other offers for earlier microservers on ebay at the moment.

;) In the UK anyway but I'd guess it's the same elsewhere. Might be another option to a new motherboard.

Personally in that case I would buy asus. They build for HP and is why they rabbit on about capacitors - not worth them stocking anything else. I'm currently using an ex demo hp workstation for my pc. Prior to that I used to build myself. Hardly worth it now but I have never ever had an asus board fail. The only other make I have used for extended periods is Intel. Same there.

John
    -

• I have something like that Edimax USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter but I dont know linux very much and I could not configue it ..

Only USB3 Gigabit Ethernet adapters worth a look are those based on RTL8153. There exist only two chipsets for this anyway: ASIX AX88179 which is slower, generates more load and is a guarantee for driver hassles everywhere. And RealTek RTL8153 which is the better alternative (driver included in Linux kernel and macOS since years, no idea about Windows).

We use a few of these and they work surprisingly well (same performance like a good onboard Intel/Marvell/Broadcom GbE NIX C but of source much higher CPU utilization)

• The BIOSTAR A68I-350 DELUX look to be a better option than Asrock Q1900M .. it has 3xSATA3

For 5$ more I can have a newer Mobo ASRock QC5000M (AMD A4-5000) with more cores and more performance, and lower TDP but less SATA3 ports

look be be a better option than the E350 ... but can I install OMV on this ASRock QC5000M?

There are also low power Intel board (ASROCK J3060M, ASRock J3355B-ITX) but i`m not convinced

• Maybe this will help.
    I've been looking at fanless boards in case I fall out with noise from an hp microserver. I noticed that asus seem to offer some with an integrated case cooling fan control. Also I think some where a cpu fan can be added, also controlled. They all look to use intel celeron processors. I'd assume these boards do have more power than the cpu's used in gen 7 microservers. I'd also assume this style of board is also available in other makes.

If I did change the board I would be looking for one with case fan control. For a fanless board a separate cpu fan shouldn't really be needed. There are also some cases that have this built in plus more scope for heat to vent as it naturally does - vertically. They tend to be big and pricey though and even have filters. 8o My son gave me one recently. The hp board would be lost in it plus plenty of space for disks. I'll try the microserver as it comes first

I've no idea if this type of board is capable of doing media conversion on the fly. I don't have any interest in media servers so know nothing what so ever about them.

Depends on how many disks some one wants to fit. For more I have already concluded that fitting a raid controller is the easiest option along with smaller disks than the case usually takes. I've used all sorts of raid over the years ranging from types that in real terms are cheap soft raid up to some what better quality ones from the likes of adpatec and lsi. They have always been ok but I believe to get real improvements in speed out of them they tend to be very expensive and also need rather expensive disks. What I would say about the cheap end is that they don't reduce the speed below what would be available direct from the board providing the sockets are up to it. The sockets usually are. :/ I'm going to be using sata raid though - a first for me but I did use ide for a while without any problems and expect sata to be the same. Laptop drives are much cheaper than enterprise types so probably wont last as long. Have to wait and see but redundancy can help with that aspect. Personally I'm inclined to go for lower capacity ones as I suspect that will help reliability. Just use more of them.

John
    -

• Hi

I have bought the ASRock QC5000M.

1. I tried the easiest way .. put the mobo in the case connected with the old hard drive (with OMV instalation for the previouse Mobo Asrock A330ION) ... the client start ... in teory everything looks ok .. the LAN led blinks on the back of the Mobo but I can not connect to it via the web interface .. I dont see it also on the router .. I dont know what is wrong ??

2. Then I tried to make a fresh instalation. I`ve created a USB stick .. entered the setup .. chose the language and then I get a massage that I have to instal additional drivers from CD. I`ve connected CD drive a put the CD added to the Mobo but I got the massage that the CD contains files that can not be used for instalation. I didnt get such a massage when I installed the Asrock A330ION version ...

Can you please suggest a solution for point 1. or 2.???
    are the problem connnected the the Motherboard on AMD ... would I get the same problems on the ASROCK J3060M or Asrock Q1900M ?

• You probably need the network driver.
    Or install backport kernel, it may work there...

This covers Point 1 and 2.

Find out, what NIC is used on the Mobo.

HTH

--
    Get a Rose Tattoo...

HP t5740 with Expansion and USB3, Inateck Case w/ 3TB WD-Green
    OMV 5.5.23-1 Usul i386|4.19.0-9-686-pae

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!