Mergerfs copy/delete vs. move on same drive

• Hi.
    I have Mergerfs set to [Existing path, most free space] however when moving files from one subdir to another, the file system seems to copy/delete instead of move.

Is there an optimal setting that won't will allow me the instant moves and not create more work for SnapRaid at the end of the day?

Much appreciated.

• Have you read the docs regarding rename?

If mergerfs is returning EXDEV for a rename (which triggers `mv` to copy the data) then it's because the two directories are on different drives and that a create would not have created that path either (see the docs for specific details). That's the point of path preservation. If you don't want that then don't use a path preserving policy or if you only don't care on rename and link then enable `ignorepponrename`.

• Thank you for the reference and explanation. I found it odd even just moving files up into parent folder that it would copy/delete. I'll utilize your suggestion. Also, I think I've seen your posts on reddit, you're the author of mergerfs, no? I'd like to personally thank you for your the effort you contribute creating the software and the countless hours/days/months(?!?) worth of time supporting it.

• It won't copy on a move to parent. The parent must obviously exist on the drive in question. Are you positive that's happening? What is being used to move files? mv?

Yep, I'm the author of mergerfs. Thanks. I'm glad people find it useful.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!