Old motherboard laying around

• I would like to create a nas with hardware I have laying around. I have an Intel DG45EK and Intel DG45FC that are just collecting dust. Can someone tell if one of these will work great with openmediavault?

It would be running on Xeon e3120 3.16 Ghz, 4gb of ram and 12tb of storage.

Thanks

• I would use the DQ45EK cause it offers 5 instead of 4 SATA. CPU + RAM should be fine for OMV. How many discs do you plan to use? 12 TB can be set up different ways .... 3x6TB Raid 5, 5x4TB Raid 6?

Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought.
    It always defeats order, because it is better organized.
    Terry Pratchett

• Wow thanks for rapid response guys!!!

Riff-Faff is will be using 1 32gb SSD drive for booting and 4x3TB drives for storage.

As for Raids I haven't decided on that yet. Any recommendations? This nas will be mainly used to store movies and tvshows.

Thanks

• You could use a Raid 5 with single parity, but SnapRaid would probably be the better solution, specially with these large files that do not change to often.

Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought.
    It always defeats order, because it is better organized.
    Terry Pratchett

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unionfilesystem plugin might be interesting for you.
    Most here would not recommend RAID (especially as availability seems to be not important in your case).
    Raid is not backup anyway. So use rsync to backup imortant files to a separate disk or use the USB backup plugin for backups.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!