OMV 3.0 in VMWare

• Hallo,

ich bin neu hier und habe bisher wenig Erfahrung mit OMV... Wollte mal fragen ob folgendes funktioniert, und wenn ja, wie??

Ich habe OMV 3.0 in VMware Workstation 12.5 Pro installiert, welches auf einem Windows Server läuft. Der Windows Server hat natürlich schon eine Menge Daten/Festplatten/Freigaben auf die ich jetzt mit OMV zugreifen möchte um sie auch mit OMV verwalten zu können und Usern Zugriffsrechte etc. geben kann. Nur wie bekomme ich es hin diese Freigaben in OMV einzubinden?

Vielen Dank schonmal im voraus!!

LG
    buz91a

• Asking in english dramatically increases the chance of a good answer.
    You are talking ´bout SMB-Folders in Windows?

--
    Get a Rose Tattoo...

HP t5740 with Expansion and USB3, Inateck Case w/ 3TB WD-Green
    OMV 5.5.23-1 Usul i386|4.19.0-9-686-pae

• Not sure if I got it right:

You would like to administrate windows folders (folders from your Host OS) as shares in OMV?

Think your first problem is to make them available in OMV. Don't have VMWare Workstation but I think the functionality is similar to Virtualbox. Check for "Shared folders" in the VMware setup for the OMV virtual maschine to mount the folders into your OMV. You might need to add users to a VMware group (at least I needed to do this in VirtualBox, tested with a virtual Linux box). Afterwards you should be able to use the normal admin tools from OMV.

• Ok sorry, I´ll try in English:

I have a Homeserver running on Windows 10. At Windows 10 I installed VMware Workstation Pro 12.5. In VMware I installed OMV 3.0. In Windows 10 I have already a lot of shares (SMB) which i want to Connect now to OMV. Is this possible? If yes, how?

• Not sure if I got it right:

You would like to administrate windows folders (folders from your Host OS) as shares in OMV?

Think your first problem is to make them available in OMV. Don't have VMWare Workstation but I think the functionality is similar to Virtualbox. Check for "Shared folders" in the VMware setup for the OMV virtual maschine to mount the folders into your OMV. You might need to add users to a VMware group (at least I needed to do this in VirtualBox, tested with a virtual Linux box). Afterwards you should be able to use the normal admin tools from OMV.

Ah okay, this is a function in VMWare that i didn´t know... Okay I Shared now the folders in VMWare, but how can I find them in OMV?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Okay, but where in the OMV GUI can I find it and "mount"/"map" this folders?

There is no place to do this. You could mount the samba shares with the remote mount plugin though.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• You are right. This is something I didn't check.

There is a way to do this... . But it is very low level so you need to be really carefully.

Never tested this in OMV so be careful and use a dummy share for testing!

You are on a VM :-): Make a snapshot before.

Assume you have a virtual data disk (you will need it). Are you familiar with the /etc/fstab and mount points?

You need to add lines like below for each folder you added by VMWware

This way you can make the mounted drives available in a path OMV knows and where you can access them by the OMV tools (shared folders/Freigebene Ordner). The path /media/<path to OMV data disk>/<your new mount point> is from OMV 2.x, not sure if it changed for 3. Check in the /etc/fstab for the correct one.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This way you can make the mounted drives available in a path OMV knows and where you can access them by the OMV tools (shared folders/Freigebene Ordner).

You still won't be able to create a shared folder with this method. OMV requires an entry in the mntent section of /etc/openmediavault/config.xml in order to use it in the web interface.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can You please tell me step by step the needed ssh commands? How can I create/add/mount/fstab a Folder with ssh commands?

This really isn't a good idea... Using the remote mount plugin is a better idea.

• Okay I downloaded it from github, but how can I install it? I get the message: Failed to upload package 'openmediavault-remotemount-master.zip'. The package name does not match the plugin naming convention....

• You still won't be able to create a shared folder with this method. OMV requires an entry in the mntent section of /etc/openmediavault/config.xml in order to use it in the web interface.

I agree that it is not a good idea if you are not really familiar with what you are doing there. Will be more carefull with such proposals.
    BTW: Did some tests, it would work but I will not go into more details here.

buz91a: Did you install the OMV extras.org extensions? Don't think it is a good idea to try to install single packages.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Okay I downloaded it from github, but how can I install it? I get the message: Failed to upload package 'openmediavault-remotemount-master.zip'. The package name does not match the plugin naming convention....

You can't install anything you download from github. Like Chris said, you need to install omv-extras and then the remote mount plugin will be in the plugin tab list.

• OKAY GOT IT! But I get following Error message:

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; mount -v '/srv/606c335b-876a-44cc-879b-05bd9513e4fc' 2>&1' with exit code '32': mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=192.168.8.15,unc=\\192.168.8.15\,iocharset=utf8,user=Homeserver,prefixpath=Daten/Vidz/,pass=******** Retrying with upper case share name mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=192.168.8.15,unc=\\192.168.8.15\,iocharset=utf8,user=Homeserver,prefixpath=DATEN/VIDZ/,pass=******** mount error(6): No such device or address Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

Any idea?

• Yes thank you very much, the mounting is working now! But is there a way to access the files with the web GUI. Before i had an Synology NAS with a so called "File Station". Does OMV provide something like that?? And is there an app to for iphone to access my files remotely with an dyndns address?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!