Banan Pi upgrade

• Hello,

Due to instability issues I would like to upgrade HW to run OMV.
    I have chosen Banana Pi (M2) in past because GigaLAN and SATA. For my future board these stay as basic requirements.

There is a over-kill/sacrifice from my side - my SATA HDD is encrypted using luks. It would be great if encryption could be somehow user-friendly-easy-setup/linux-newbie-doable-setup integrated into HW for additional max 50 GBP/EUR to keep top sped for SATA-GigaLAN-ToLAN... If there is solution great, but if not, OK.
    + I have second External USB HDD btw.

Is there anything for Banana Pi - so popular and well-supported running OMV?

• have chosen Banana Pi (M2) in past because GigaLAN and SATA

The M2 has no SATA. Please also note that this specific vendor plagued by ignorance and stupidity sells 6 different boards that are totally incompatible but named almost identical: M2, M2+, M2 Ultra, M2 Berry, M2 Zero and M2 Magic.

Besides this Allwinner SATA is performing really poor. Same with Gigabit Ethernet on the first Bananas. For me personally Bananas and Allwinner are a dead end street for various reasons. If I would want a fast and energy efficient SBC based NAS boards like ROCK64 and Espressobin are way more interesting.

See also Things went South after update

• Correction - I've got Banana Pi M1 apparently.

I have a look at ROCK64 - has USB3 but does not have SATA? How it will perform comparing to Banana Pi SATA?
    Considering that HDD will be encrypted - what performance difference about I could expect compared to Banana Pi?

I like Espressobin how serious it looks, but I wish a little bit higher specs maybe? - at least what says on paper...

EDIT: And please - consider that I want to use it for working things not to play around. That's why support is important, which I really appreciate this OMV forum doing great job :)

• I have a look at ROCK64 - has USB3 but does not have SATA? How it will perform comparing to Banana Pi SATA?

Really, if I post link lists I think it's worth to click on it: Things went South after update

If you follow the links to Armbian forum you'll see that ROCK64 with USB3 is magnitudes faster than every Banana out there. Same with ESPRESSOBin. Marvell SoCs have the CESA crypto engine (though no ikea how/whether that supports LUKS encryption) and ROCK64 since 64-bit/ARMv8 shows outstanding AES performance (though no ikea how/whether that supports LUKS encryption). And unlike Banana Pi they are designed to be powered reliably.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!