Plexmediaserver 3.8.1 on OMV 3.0.85 - service will not run

• Hello,

I used OMV briefly during the 1.0 days before retreating like a coward to Windows Server. I'm back and determined to use it to replace that server, so I'm setting up OMV in a VM to iron out my problems. I've installed OMV 3.0.85, run all updates and created a small pool using the unionfilesystems plugin. Then I've created a user, created two shared folders in that pool with everyone having full access, and attempted to setup the plexmediaserver plugin.

It installed without error, but upon moving the database volume to the pool and enabling the plugin, the service can not start. Please see attached screenshots. Any help would be much appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Moving the database is problematic with plex. That is the same reason that feature was removed from the mysql plugin. I would purge the plugin and set it up again.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Moving the database is problematic with plex. That is the same reason that feature was removed from the mysql plugin. I would purge the plugin and set it up again.

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't actually WANT to move the database, but it seems I have no choice when initializing the plugin. I have to choose something, and the filesystems I have created are the only options in the drop-down menu. Am I overlooking something simple?

Edit: So it seems that plexmediaserver service is active even without enabling it in the settings as seen in the screenshots, which is odd, because all the other plugins I use (Radarr, Sonarr, NZBGet, Subsonic) are not active until you manually enable them. Regardless, launching the web client works. In the dashboard, the Plex Media Server entry says it's not enabled (grey dot) but it is running (green dot).

• Offizieller Beitrag

Am I overlooking something simple?

What filesystem was the drive you selected?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• What filesystem was the drive you selected?

I had selected the Pool, in an effort to not write anything to individual disks, but to let MergerFS decide the optimal location for everything.

As per my edit above, now the service is running even though the enable button is still off. The only downside, other than it being a bit strange, is that I can't enable PlexPy, because that option only presents itself when I enable the service manually.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unfortunately, I don't use the plex plugin and haven't tried putting the database on a mergerfs pool. I would uninstall the plugin and select a single disk. The database isn't the media file locations. You specify that in the plex web interface.

• I had selected the Pool, in an effort to not write anything to individual disks, but to let MergerFS decide the optimal location for everything.
    As per my edit above, now the service is running even though the enable button is still off. The only downside, other than it being a bit strange, is that I can't enable PlexPy, because that option only presents itself when I enable the service manually.

I don't think selecting a MergerFS pool for Plex's database is a good idea.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I don't remember ever being forced to move the database on the plugin installation. I believe if you do not select anything the default location is used.

I much prefer to use the default location. To click the "enable" button, I was being forced to select a different location. However, I found that the plexmediaserver service runs even without the plugin being enabled.

Unfortunately, I don't use the plex plugin and haven't tried putting the database on a mergerfs pool. I would uninstall the plugin and select a single disk. The database isn't the media file locations. You specify that in the plex web interface.

I have my media folder locations set up separately, it just seemed that the plugin was forcing me to choose a new database location in order to enable it. As I mentioned, the service seems to run fine without the plugin "enable" button turned on, which was not what I expected, but it IS working.

• not sure, but i remember a post saying that plex and MergerFS are not good friends.

Please try to select a ext4 as destination for DDBB and play now.

• Be careful when choosing the location for the Plex database. The database will grow along with your media collection and can become quite large. I believe the default location is /var/lib/plexmediaserver which is on the rootfs.

I run my OMV on a 16GB SSD. And my /plexmediaserver database has grown to be over 220GB. I currently have 8.3TB of media files.

If the database grows to fill all the available disk space, plex will stop working. If your rootfs fills up many things will stop working.

Also, be aware that every time you make any change in the plugin settings and apply the changes, OMV will go on a chown rampage resetting the ownership of all the files and folders in the database even if they are already correct. This can take a long time if your database is large and you may mistakenly think the plugin has hung or crashed. Mine contains well over 10 million files and folders.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I will try to take a look when I get a chance. You should be able to not make a selection so the database stays in the default location.

Thank you for the offer. No rush, as I've got the basic media server working. The only thing that I'm missing out on now is the ability to run PlexPy.

Thanks for the warning! I have a PMS running on my Windows Server 2012 machine with 567 movies, 5,169 episodes, 2k photos and 3,013 albums (35,500+ tracks) and my database there is only 29 GB. Either you have a monster of a collection or some settings that greatly increase the size (chapter thumbnails, etc., perhaps?).

• Yes, video preview thumbnails are enabled, but at the time I enabled that it didn't make a whole lot of difference. And I don't think turning thumbnails off removes the already existing ones, it just stops creating new ones.

7,250 movies, 2,530 albums with 29,000+ tracks, 115 TV series with 3410 episodes, and a few dozen UFC PPV events.

Disks are so cheap now a days, I don't even bother trying to cut down on my collecting and I can collect it at least 25 times faster than it can be watched or listened to, so getting caught up is beyond hopeless.

--

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• I believe the default location is /var/lib/plexmediaserver which is on the rootfs.

@gderf So, where is your plex database stored? I assume that you have it on a ZFS pool?

I also have installed the plugin and changed the default location, because I don´t want the database on the rootfs. But since then I still do not have time to go on with plex.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• My Plex database is on one of my media drives. I don't run ZFS here. I have some mergerFS pools (but not configured with any plugin - it's too coarse for my needs) and I run snapRaid with one parity drive.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hello,

I used OMV briefly during the 1.0 days before retreating like a coward to Windows Server. I'm back and determined to use it to replace that server, so I'm setting up OMV in a VM to iron out my problems.

Man, I love your candor!! :D And, as you know, you're definitely in the right place.
    I was jinking around with Windows Home Server where everything beyond the basics had a price tag, and they still dropped it.

Here, look at the support you've been getting, even with 3rd party app's. M$ would never equal it, even if you were paying them for it.

• You should add me as a friend on your library. I'd never have to add media to mine again...

Me too please! :thumbup:

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!