Web-based file explorer

• I have OMV 3.0.85. I am currently running Emby for all my photo/video needs. But, I would also like to have a file explorer to manage (e.g. download,upload,rename,delete) all types of documents, not just media .

I am looking for something user friendly akin to extplorer, kodexplorer. Ideally a plugin, though I couldn't find any for omv3. Alternatively, if it needs to be installed manually, something that can be easily configured to work with the users and shares created in OMV web interface.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you have a Windows client, I'd recommend using WinSCP. It can be found here -> WinSCP

While it's not Web based, it provides a graphical windows explorer style GUI. Since WinSCP accesses OMV by SSH, you'll have root access which will allow file / folder creation, permission changes, moves, deletes, and "in place" configuration file editing with the editor of your choice. (If you've ever worked with vi or nano, you'll appreciate the latter.)

If you want to move something from/to OMV and a LAN client, you can use your existing network shares as a proxy folder.

• With your media to move/copy/paste/delete/rename/create folder/delete folder it is easiest to do via samba share and file explorer in Windows 10. For administrative type stuff I use the file manager in webmin. There is html based one and a java based, don't use the java based anymore.

• Offizieller Beitrag

We don't know what your Linux skill level is but The Master and tekkb have laid out very good additional options and there's nothing wrong with trying or using them all.

While it's a command line tool, I have Midnight Commander installed and I have to say that it's amazing to see a tool that runs from the command line, that mimics a windowed file manager and allows the use of a mouse.

If you want to install Midnight Commander, go on the command line and enter;

apt-get install mc

After it installs, type "mc" (no quotes)

• Has somebody tried the eXtplorer?

I do not believe it is available in version 3. it was never ported from version 2.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• Thanks for the replies, guys. Sorry, been away a few days.

I am trying to set this up for a friend, who has never dealt with linux before, and has only basic computer literacy skills. Hence, I would need something simple and user friendly.

I have already set up shares via samba for local access, so at the moment I am looking for something that can help him manage files remotely, when he is on holiday for instance. He has a public IP, and can already access emby remotely.

He might not use the same device for access, therefore, ideally, it shouldn't require any additional software apart from an internet browser.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sounds like you should try eXtplorer. After it has been installed it should be easy to use.
    Have not tried it myself, though.
    Installation should be possible via FileZilla or WinSCP. No command line needed.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sounds like you should try eXtplorer.

I'd agree but this plugin has been discontinued in OMV 3.X.

There are advantages and disadvantages (trade-off's) for anything mentioned in this thread so far. However, if you're looking for "drag and drop" simplicity in Web based file manager, with essentially little to no set up, I don't think it exists.
    (If someone on the forum knows of a package, that's better than Cloud Manager, I'd be interested.)

If you're dealing with a Windows user with some experience, I'd still recommend installing WinSCP on a Windows machine. After it's installed, on the first use, you'd have to specify the host (ip address), a user name (root) and the root password. After the initial setup and the first connection, to reconnect to a local Linux box, it would prompt for the password only.
    (From there, as mentioned above, it has some similarities to Windows Explorer. Since network shares are already set up, depositing files from a Windows machine could be managed through network shares.)

When you're talking about remote access, that's another issue entirely. Pydio (the community edition) might fill the bill but setup will not be "point and click" and you'd have to teach it to the user.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'd agree but this plugin has been discontinued in OMV 3.X.

It should be still possible to install it. Not using the plug-in, which has been discontinued, but using the installation process described on the web-page.

• (If someone on the forum knows of a package, that's better than Cloud Manager, I'd be interested.)

Did you mean CloudCommander?

If you're dealing with a Windows user with some experience, I'd still recommend installing WinSCP on a Windows machine.
    When you're talking about remote access, that's another issue entirely. Pydio (the community edition) might fill the bill but setup will not be "point and click" and you'd have to teach it to the user.

WinSCP is certainly easy enough to use. But I'd rather have a solution that would not require my further involvement past installation. Every time he changes a computer, or decides to put in a laptop, or at work. He also wants his family to be able to access the files, who themselves have their own PCs. It just too much.

Pydio seems like a bit of overkill, but I'll keep it in mind.

It should be still possible to install it. Not using the plug-in, which has been discontinued, but using the installation process described on the web-page.

It was a bit of a pita to install to be honest. Apparently inside the zip file they tell you to unzip, hidden among all the standard html/php/etc files, there is a tar.gz file that also needs decompressing, which is not mentioned at all in the instructions. Had to dig through nginx logs to find out why extplorer refused to load.
    After that had to play around with permissions for the .htusers.php file to be able to change the default admin password.
    Now that's done, I'm still not sure how I can grant access to users (created in extplorer) to OMV shares. Since extplorer is running in nginx, am I supposed to grant "www-data" (nginx user) full rights to my users' home folders? Is that secure?

This is why I wanted something that would work with OMV users and shares. Does CloudCommander has its own users as well or can it use ones from passwd?

• Offizieller Beitrag

https://forum.openmediavault.o…php/User/8753-The-Master/

Did you mean CloudCommander?

Yeah, Cloud Commander, "Cloud Manager" was an "extended typo".

WinSCP is certainly easy enough to use. But I'd rather have a solution that would not require my further involvement past installation. Every time he changes a computer, or decides to put in a laptop, or at work. He also wants his family to be able to access the files, who themselves have their own PCs. It just too much.

It was a bit of a pita to install to be honest. Apparently inside the zip file they tell you to unzip, hidden among all the standard html/php/etc files, there is a tar.gz file that also needs decompressing, which is not mentioned at all in the instructions. Had to dig through nginx logs to find out why extplorer refused to load.After that had to play around with permissions for the .htusers.php file to be able to change the default admin password.
    Now that's done, I'm still not sure how I can grant access to users (created in extplorer) to OMV shares. Since extplorer is running in nginx, am I supposed to grant "www-data" (nginx user) full rights to my users' home folders? Is that secure?

This is why I wanted something that would work with OMV users and shares. Does CloudCommander has its own users as well or can it use ones from passwd?

All of the above is a good reason to get "out of the middle". There are many, and my sister is among them, who want the benefits of tech devices but won't invest any time and effort into even a basic understanding of them.

As a result, where my sister is concerned, I've become her pro bono IT staff. In other words, I've become a technical mechanic/janitor that keeps her stuff fixed, up-to-date, and cleaned up. It got so outrageous, in times past, that I installed a remote access package on her box so I can check and doctor her stuff remotely. "No Sis, your connection is up." "The E-mail server is down,, give it a few hours...."

Re Cloud Commander, I don't know much about it. The Master's mention of it in this thread was the first time I was made aware of it. (It's nice, but I've developed other methods.) However, according to the site (Cloud Commander) , it's configurable for "optional authorization", apparently with users and passwords. How it would work in the real world, from outside of the local LAN, would need a bit of testing.

Good Luck.

• All of the above is a good reason to get "out of the middle". There are many, and my sister is among them, who want the benefits of tech devices but won't invest any time and effort into even a basic understanding of them.
    As a result, where my sister is concerned, I've become her pro bono IT staff. In other words, I've become a technical mechanic/janitor that keeps her stuff fixed, up-to-date, and cleaned up. It got so outrageous, in times past, that I installed a remote access package on her box so I can check and doctor her stuff remotely. "No Sis, your connection is up." "The E-mail server is down,, give it a few hours...."

Re Cloud Commander, I don't know much about it. The Master's mention of it in this thread was the first time I was made aware of it. (It's nice, but I've developed other methods.) However, according to the site (Cloud Commander) , it's configurable for "optional authorization", apparently with users and passwords. How it would work in the real world, from outside of the local LAN, would need a bit of testing.

Good Luck.

Heh, that sounds eerily familiar. My sister lives abroad and I have to constantly help her with her laptops/mobile phones/tablets. Her laggy internet connection does not help when I'm trying to do it remotely ||

I've tried to install "Filerun", but it requires PHP7, and apparently OMV is quite interwoven with PHP5. So, went for nextcloud instead, which works fine with PHP5. Followed a very good guide by "tinh_x7":
    NextCloud Installation

Just like emby, I couldn't use users from OMV with nextcloud, had to create separate ones. Used ACL controls in OMV to add permissions for "www-data" to the shares. The web frontend of nextcloud is quite basic and easy understand, so it'll to do.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Heh, that sounds eerily familiar. My sister lives abroad and I have to constantly help her with her laptops/mobile phones/tablets. Her laggy internet connection does not help when I'm trying to do it remotely ||

I can't imagine having to deal with a really slow connection, with link delay, for remote control. My sister (I think of her as my "blister" :rolleyes: ) has Verizon Fiber which is smokin' fast, but it still seems pokey when I'm in a session.

I even went so far as to set up a VPN connection between her PC and my LAN but she's so technically challenged, I would have had to really lock down her access to prevent potential file deletions, virus infections, etc. (I ended up killing that idea.)

• I'm also very interested in this topic. My idea also was to use NextCloud, but there's no Integration of the existing file system, right? So u need to duplicate everything and put it in the NC data folder? Otherwise it would be great. Nobody has a solution?

• FWIW, if I need a graphical file manager, I fire up terminal and ssh -X to the box. Once in, I start thunar. Of course for X11 forwarding to work you'll need some basic X11 components installed on the server and you'll need an X11 environment on your client machine. Windows users can use Putty and Xming.

• FWIW, if I need a graphical file manager, I fire up terminal and ssh -X to the box. Once in, I start thunar. Of course for X11 forwarding to work you'll need some basic X11 components installed on the server and you'll need an X11 environment on your client machine. Windows users can use Putty and Xming.

This solution is not web-based! And it's not multiplatform and not to handle for anyone.... the Goal is to set up a family share fo everyone.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!