First Install of Openmediavault on HP Mircro Gen8

• Hi to all members.

I am looking to install Openmediavault on my HP Microserver Gen8. Would appreciate a little guidance from the experts out there.

What is the best boot option, I am assuming SSD, but as I intend to leave it on for 24 hours, so not sure if this is the best option for me. Is it worth installing Debian aswell and have a dedicated USB boot for Openmediavault?

Does anyone know if there is an app that will record my IP security camera, had a look could not see one.

Any other advice would also be much appreciated.

HP Microserver Gen8.
    USB boot.
    Version 3.0.82 Erasmus.

• SSD is fine. OMV is Debian, so you don't need another distro alongside it.

You can also install OMV as a VM under ESXI or Proxmox, with other server-dedicated VMs alongside it.

For cameras, I strongly recommend MotionEye. You can install it in OMV (manually from the command line) or in a VM or a Docker container.

• Does anyone know if there is an app that will record my IP security camera, had a look could not see one.

Another video software system is ZoneMinder

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Thanks for the info, very useful. Could either of you point me to a good sticky for a first install on USB for the HP Gen8?

HP Microserver Gen8.
    USB boot.
    Version 3.0.82 Erasmus.

• Install went great no problems, already configuring some addons, then did a reboot and it locked me out. I had changed the password on the web link and it was having none of it. Is this a fresh install or is there a way to unlock it?

Ok, I think the problem maybe my usb drive being full up. What size usb or micro card should I use for this installation?

HP Microserver Gen8.
    USB boot.
    Version 3.0.82 Erasmus.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von psionguy () aus folgendem Grund: update on issue

• You have to SSH to the console as root.
    Then type

omv-firstaid

With menu no. 3 it is possible to change the control panel administrator password.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• I use a 32GB card in my HP Microserver Gen8 but I was told an 8 GB card should be fine as well.

HP Microserver Gen.8
    Intel Xeon E3-1225v2 - 16GB RAM - 3x 3TB Seagate IronWulf

• Robsen,
    see my website
    https://www.aroundmyroom.com/2…10t-booting-with-usb-odd/

choise of USB stick depends
    I have 2GB disk or so .. but is only used for boot.. OMV is installed on a 500GB 2,5" old disk

it totally depends on how you want to use the HP Microserver gen8 with OpenMediavault.
    if you want to use softraid with openmediavault (as the B210i cannot be used in raid with Openmediavault as I believe) you need to be sure that you can use both 4 drives within the raid.
    There fore you install OMV on SSD or 2,5" HDD or whatever connected to the ODD drive

I am starting OMV from an USB stick what only boots and than through grub it starts OMV from a 2,5" disk leaving the 4 HDD's untouched.
    After the initial installation I have a running OMV where I can define in the UI how to use the 4 HDD's.

Bilder

5x HP Microserver Gen8, 4x with OMV. (3x OMV4 and 1x OMV5)

(Busy with migrating to 1 NAS) Puffer: 4x3TB RAID5; Nemo:4x3TB RAID5; Shark: 4x2TB RAID5 and Whale: 4x10TB UNIONFS with SNAPRAID

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!