OMV3 on top of Debian 8 Issue

• Hi,

Here's my scenario -

I wanted to use crashplan with openmediavault, but not headless. So, I thought I would install OMV3 on debian 8. That setup went fine. I installed crashplan which also went fine. The problem is, crashplan cannot see the drives. I assume because they are in use by OMV3. Is there any way to allow crashplan to use the drive that is mounted as a share in OMV3? Nothing in the base debian 8 os seems to be able to access the drives I mount in OMV3, not under root or my user account. I'm still hoping theres a way to do this. I know how to install headless, but its a pain and Id rather not

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If I have read this correctly you have installed OMV alongside/on top of a Debian 8 GUI.....Why?

But to answer your question if you have set up your shares within OMV then they can be located under /srv from within the file structure.

EDIT: Hm!! second message appeared after I posted.....but the question is still the same you have a Debian GUI why install OMV, there is no need you have the GUI that will allow to do everything you need.

• running OMV3 without the debian GUI requires using Crashplan in headless mode, which as I mentioned in my first post is something I do not want to do (why? because it's a PITA). I thought it would be fairly easy to do, by installing OMV on top of debian (which is a supported method for OMV). Unfortunately the drive don't show up in the typical /media/UUID location.

Also, why am I using OMV3 if I have debian? As stated above, it's a supported mode (there are threads on how to install this way), but also....using OMV3 allows easy config of things like samba shares, minidlna, etc, from different computers, without using things like VNC etc.

• Offizieller Beitrag

running OMV3 without the debian GUI requires using Crashplan in headless mode,

You could install the remotedesktop plugin. Then you don't have the full gui running all the time.

debian (which is a supported method for OMV)

Possible? Yes. Supported is a strong word... And I've always suggested not installing OMV on a system with a desktop environment installed.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unfortunately the drive don't show up in the typical /media/UUID location.

Typical for a GUI not typical for OMV and as stated in my post I actually answered your question as to the location of the mount points....and as @ryecoaaron has stated simply install OMV then install the remote desktop plugin, this is the simplest option and would save you any further problems down the road.

• You could install the remotedesktop plugin. Then you don't have the full gui running all the time.

Possible? Yes. Supported is a strong word... And I've always suggested not installing OMV on a system with a desktop environment installed.

Does the remotedesktop plugin allow me to run Crashplan with a GUI on the OMV3 localhost? If so, I'll definitely give it a try. What I am trying to avoid is the crashplan GUI on a separate computer from the actual backup engine.

Typical for a GUI not typical for OMV and as stated in my post I actually answered your question as to the location of the mount points....and as @ryecoaaron has stated simply install OMV then install the remote desktop plugin, this is the simplest option and would save you any further problems down the road.

Thanks. Just to be clear, if I have a debian install, on top of which i installed OMV3, the OMV shares are located in /srv? I don't recall seeing that folder, but I'll check when I get home.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Does the remotedesktop plugin allow me to run Crashplan with a GUI on the OMV3 localhost?

Yes. You use a remote desktop (rdp) client to log into your OMV host and it uses an LXDE desktop. The difference is that very minimal desktop services are running reducing conflicts with OMV.

Just to be clear, if I have a debian install, on top of which i installed OMV3, the OMV shares are located in /srv? I don't recall seeing that folder, but I'll check when I get home.

Depends on what version of OMV 3.x you had installed when you mounted the filesystem. If you were using 3.0.71+, they should be in /srv/.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Yes. You use a remote desktop (rdp) client to log into your OMV host and it uses an LXDE desktop. The difference is that very minimal desktop services are running reducing conflicts with OMV.

Depends on what version of OMV 3.x you had installed when you mounted the filesystem. If you were using 3.0.71+, they should be in /srv/.

Wow. That is great. I had no idea about RDP. I'll try it when I get home from work. Thanks alot for your help.

• I'm getting an error when trying to install the rdp plugin. Any ideas? I'm on the latest OMV3 build (installed standard OMV, not on top of debian) Thanks!

"
    A dependency job for xrdp.service failed. See 'journalctl -xn' for details.
    invoke-rc.d: initscript xrdp, action "start" failed.
    dpkg: error processing package xrdp (--configure):
    subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    Setting up xbitmaps (1.1.1-2) ...
    Setting up xterm (312-2) ...
    update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/xterm to provide /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator (x-terminal-emulator) in auto mode
    update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/lxterm to provide /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator (x-terminal-emulator) in auto mode
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openmediavault-remotedesktop:
    openmediavault-remotedesktop depends on xrdp; however:
    Package xrdp is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package openmediavault-remotedesktop (--configure):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-18+deb8u10) ...
    Processing triggers for systemd (215-17+deb8u7) ...
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    xrdp
    openmediavault-remotedesktop"

• thanks for the help everyone. earlier in the day i ended up just reinstalling OMV3, and then tried to install the RDP plugin again and it worked fine. RDP works and I have crashplan up and running.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!