space usage>80.0%

• Hi all, I got an email warning from OMV this morning, and precisely:

Code
    space usage>80.0%

It does refer to the system drive of course.

I run OMV inside an ESXi VM thus additional storage would not me a problem but... what would it be the best way to expand the system drive in this case?

Perhaps easier to back up the config and reinstall?

Just to mention: I did use acronis disk director in the past on other VMs to expand the filesystem and it worked fine...

Appreciate!

• Hi rs232,

you can use arcronis disk director or this: http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage

If you boot from the SystemRescueCD you start into a GUI version, where you can find gparted. Gparted is exactly what you are looking for, it enables you to expand your system partition.

But before you do this:

What is the size of your system partition (root) now?

can you please run df -k / and paste the output here?

I believe that if you have anything above 8GB, that it should be fine if cleanup works and you do not use anything of the system drive for data storage (which you should not do anyhow).

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• Thanks for the replay:

I'll give it a go with gparted,

This is the output of df -h

Code
    root@openmediavault:~# df -k
    Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda1              7867856   5995356   1472836  81% /
    tmpfs                  2031600         0   2031600   0% /lib/init/rw
    udev                   2026080       124   2025956   1% /dev
    tmpfs                  2031600         4   2031596   1% /dev/shm
    tmpfs                  2031600     78048   1953552   4% /tmp

Whats the clean up about btw? Something I can run manually? And no, no data is written in the system partitions, I have dedicated HD used exclusively for that.

The only think I can think about is: I did install few package manually but nothing big at all

• Ok I did it with GParted.

I had to remove the swap partition to expan the system drive, not a big deal but just for reference.

if anybody has a similar scenarion to mine I suggest you temporally disconnect the data drives. Any ways I had to:
    1) expand the ESXi VM file (using vsphere client). I set this from 8 to 12Gb
    2) boot from CD (hirensbootcd 15.1 in my case) and run Gparted
    3) delete any reference to swap (sda2 and sda5 in my case), leaving only the ext system volume (sda1 in my case)
    4) expand sda1 to whatever size you want leaving space for swap (512Mb in my case)
    5) create a primary partition (sda2) and format it in linux-swap
    6) boot OMV, it will give a warning on the missing swap partition
    7) edit the /etc/fstab and replace UUID=XXXXXXXXXX where swap was originally pointing with /dev/sda2
    8) reboot
    9) verify everything went well with a

Code
    df -h

and

Code
    swapon -s

So far so good I'll let you know if any problem.
    BTW is there any issue using physical partition rather than UUID in the fstab?
    Thanks!

• Hum, I've just noticed that the brother NAS I have (where I keep the backup) has only 23% used and it's working perfectly. I wonder why the main NAS is (was before the disk expansion) full instead...

• Offizieller Beitrag

What plugins do you have on the main nas?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

That is strange. Did you figure out what is taking up all the space? The following command will take a while but it will show you the 10 largest files on the system. You could change that to only show the largest 10 in /var and /usr if you have a lot of large files on your shared drives.

du -a / | sort -n -r | head -n 10

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Plex!

Yes I have many media files on the storage drive but plex appears to store locally (within the system filesystem) metadata.

I think on the brother system I did install plex and it's running but I haven't set it up to scan the storage yet.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!