I realized raid1 will not serve my purpose (back up data), how to remove raid?

• Hey,

Home someone can shed some light on this:

hardware: Dell poweredge T100
    omv 3.079 on a 8GB external flash drive (install openmediavault-flashmemory3.4.4)
    RAID 1 (two 8TB WD red)
    I recently purchase two more 8TB WD easystore USB 3.0 External Hard Drive. I connect one to usb port
    I install usb backup plugin, and have backed up 1.5TB data to external hard drive
    in advance power management, I set 127-Intermediate power usage with standby, and spindown time 60 min

Q1: I have some spare flash drive, how can I create a backup of external flash drive, in case current one die?

Q2: I understand RAID1 improve redundancy, but doesn't back up data (in case of power surge or fire...), and I am the only person use the NAS, and if I need to take a week to restore data from the backup to NAS I am fine with that. My primary usage is backup data from two windows pc, plex for music, no movie or tv stored in NAS. In that senario, I think I may want to remove raid setup, or there is other raid more suitbale to my case?

Q3: if I want to delete the raid1, I go to storage -> raid management -> remove?
    Can I assume the data in both hard drive will not wipe out?

Dell Poweredge T100 (Pentium E5400, 2.7GHz, 2MB Cache,800MH 2, 4GB DDR2 memory, 32-bit)
    OMV 3.0.39
    2 8TB WD RED, RAID 1

• Q1: There are several possibilities. I use Clonezilla, which is included in omv-extras. Within the OMV WebUI you can trigger that Clonezilla is loaded at next boot.

Can I assume the data in both hard drive will not wipe out?

I would not count on that! Nobody will put his hand in the fire for that.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

regarding Q3:

have a look here
    and here

The last one proposes this:

Not sure if this will work fine with OMV and what the drawbacks are.
    If you try, it is on your own risk. Feedback is highley appreciated, though :D

• Q1: There are several possibilities. I use Clonezilla, which is included in omv-extras. Within the OMV WebUI you can trigger that Clonezilla is loaded at next boot.

I would not count on that! Nobody will put his hand in the fire for that.

Hi cabrio_leo,

Thank you for recommending Clonezilla. I play with Clonezilla and it seems within my ability. Once I disassemble RAID 1, I am going to use that.

Thank you again!

Dell Poweredge T100 (Pentium E5400, 2.7GHz, 2MB Cache,800MH 2, 4GB DDR2 memory, 32-bit)
    OMV 3.0.39
    2 8TB WD RED, RAID 1

• Hi macom,

Thank you for your advice!
    I also come across this article
    https://www.suse.com/documenta…ta/raidmdadmdegraded.html
    which suggest mdadm --create /dev/md0 -l 1 -n 2 /dev/sda1 missing

I am going to study both option further before pull the trigger.

One more question though, for my use case (primary backup data from two windows pc, and stream mp3 via plex back to windows pc), will raid 5 or raid 10 a better choice? Regardless which raid I use (or no raid at all), I will have a external usb drive.

Thank you again for your suggestion!

OMV 3.0.39
    2 8TB WD RED, RAID 1

• Offizieller Beitrag

for my use case (primary backup data from two windows pc, and stream mp3 via plex back to windows pc), will raid 5 or raid 10 a better choice?

raid 5 seems to be the better choice
    http://www.diffen.com/difference/RAID-5-vs-RAID-10

• HI macom,

Thank you for the link comparing between 5 and 10. I am going to go with 5.

Thanks again :)

OMV 3.0.39
    2 8TB WD RED, RAID 1

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!