OMV 3.x wont install properly

• Hi guys,

i'm using OMV 2.2.14 at the moment and I want to update to the latest OMV 3.x. However, upgrading the OMV 2 Version does not work. Multiple errors, cant use apt-get or any other update prozess. So I decided to use a clean new installation of OMV 3.x.

I've tried various versions of OMV 3, none installed properly. What ever I do I can not log into the console, it's always "wrong log-in". The WebGUI works, but I can't change anything. As soon as I hit save, I'll get an error about a bolean missing or something. I can't get in via ssh. I can't update either.

What am I doing wrong with a clean install? I once tried to install OMV 3 on a very old laptop and it worked. Why not on my NAS?

My NAS is an Intel based dualcore with 12 GB RAM, system SSD 16GB and 10x 2TB as Raid 6.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What ever I do I can not log into the console

Are you using the correct credentials?
    user: root
    pwd: openmediavault

The WebGUI works, but I can't change anything. As soon as I hit save, I'll get an error about a bolean missing or something.

Can you post the complete error message?

• Are you using the correct credentials?user: root
    pwd: openmediavault

Yes, I did that an also tried the password I entered during installation. None worked. Also the usual "Hello" message was not shown, only a log-in prompt.

Can you post the complete error message?

I got back to my OMV 2 from Backup as I need the server running. But I'll try again and post the log.

Thanks for the effort so far.

• Offizieller Beitrag

By "console", do you mean the web interface or command line? Web interface should be logged in with admin/openmediavault. Command line should be root/password you set during install.

Are you installing on a usb stick?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• By "console", do you mean the web interface or command line? Web interface should be logged in with admin/openmediavault. Command line should be root/password you set during install.

Are you installing on a usb stick?

I meant the CLI at the NAS itself. Can't log in. WebGUI works, but with the errors described above.

I'm installing an a 16GB SSD. This SSD is set to be the first device at boot. Following 10 drives are configured as Raid 6. I even tried to install without any media drives (the 10 2 TB disks). Same result.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That is weird about the web interface. If the cli was working correctly, I would think the web interface issue was a browser/browser cache issue. What type of ssd and is it old? What is the NAS?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• The SSD is a KingSpec KSD-SA2 with 16GB. The drive is about 2 years old. s.m.a.r.t states good health

The NAS itself is selfmade. I bought a small motherboard with dual gigabit LAN, 4 SATA ports, added 12 GB RAM, CPU and a 8x SATA controller. Put in two Backpanels with a capacity of 5 drives each. Had no Problem so far with OMV 2.

• I just tried to install OMV 3.0.82 in a VM (Virtualbox) and it installed smooth and nice...

Will try to install on the real NAS with another SSD within the next week to test. Will post the results.

Thanks for the help so far!

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you didn't have the flashmemory plugin installed, that SSD might be failing even if smart says otherwise. The virtualbox test proves you aren't doing anything wrong as well.

• I tried to install on a brand new SSD. Got almost the same results. A lot of errors via web at the GUI. I can not configure OMV properly.

I used OMV openmediavault_3.0.82-amd64.iso

Any more suggestions? I can not believe that my NAS system is not able to run OMV 3.

• Whatever I try. Same result.

I can log into CLI directly at the NAS.
    I can log into Web GUI.

I can not make any changes at the Web GUI --> Error: Value XXX is not a bolean
    I can not update via Web GUI --> multiple errors

I can update via CLI directly at the NAS via apt-get. Still Web GUI not working.

I disabled all ACPI features in BIOS, as syslog showed some errors there --> still Web GUI not working

any suggestions?

• The first thing you should do with a new board is update the bios and then load the optimum defaults. Sometimes the old bios could have problems with new hardware. I also just got a new board for my desktop and the bios was like 3 revisions old since it had the very first version installed. Just a suggestion. The second thing when you're having problems like this is to check your images. If the image is bad it doesn't matter what you do, it will always give you problems. Use rufus or something else to burn your image. I don't know what you use, but using netbutin always gave me a good headache until I changed and found that was my problem in getting omv installed not matter what I used. Someone did mention that changing some setting in netbutin worked, but I got tired of it screwing me up so much that I don't use it.

• I don't have a new Motherboard. I use the same Hardware I used bevore with OMV 2.x. Why BIOS Update?

The ISO images where burnt with K3B under Kubuntu 16.04.

Tried to launch the installed SSD in another PC, same results within Web GUI.

• The bios usually makes fixes and/or add support for new hardware, but you said you were using it so there's that. Just try to burn your iso with something else, even if just for kicks. Some programs may or may not work too well at burning images, just saying from experience on that. I waited so long to get an ssd because I wanted the technology to mature, that I am finally using one on my computer right now. The install went without any problems like any other system on a regular hard drive, so from what you are telling me, my money is that your problem is on your image. But that's just my guess, at least from my experiences. Updating your bios won't hurt anything though.

• I updated the BIOS --> no changes
    I booted the SSD in another PC --> could make updates; Web GUI worked OK; could install extras
    I put the SSD back into the NAS --> Same problems

Now I'm very confused ;(

When I try to install openvpn-as I get this:

>>> *************** Error ***************
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive; apt-get --yes --force-yes --fix-missing --allow-unauthenticated --reinstall install openmediavault-openvpnas 2>&1' with exit code '100': Reading package lists...

Building dependency tree...

Reading state information...

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    openmediavault-openvpnas : Depends: openvpn-as (>= 2.0.24) but it is not installable
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    <<< *************************************

• Offizieller Beitrag

Those are typical errors with browser cache, since you were using old 2.x. Install again, login with browser in private mode or clear the whole history.

• OK, that seemed to be my problem. Indeed when I cleared all the cache everything worked nice an smooth. 8o

Damm it, that took some nerves! Thank to everyone who tried to help. Maybe it would be good to add a hint in the update or install Wiki.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!