Newbie, Raspberry Pi, MotionEye, and OpenMediaVault!

• While the first term isn't so much a name but a description of me, but I'll embrace the former :)

I'm new to Linux and been trying to learn and be productive at the same time. My mother and stepfather would like to have a surveillance system watching the cars, the yard, the horse(s) and their field.

While I could've turned to any consumer product, hammer 'em up and call it a day I've often approached manufacturers with doubt regarding their products' security, abilities and very fast outdated support. So I decided to look at the DIY scene with Raspberry Pis using motioneye(os) and OMV for storage, overview and network middleman. This way no unencrypted streamed video of their home is leaked out, everything's centralized and under my/their (parent's) full control.

Both Motioneye and OMV are great choices because they can both be accessed remotely through the respective webinterfaces, and with one Pi acting as a center with OMV handling the easily accessed network share for mom to browse through. If any changes has to be made I can easily go through the GUI and execute whatever is needed, neat right?

Unfortunately I've had my challenges installing both on Ubuntu, the distro I'm using out of rep of intuitivity, where both software's issues (among others) has gone from inaccurate filepaths, services, permission errors, repos and pub keys not working, and python commands to obsolete manual instructions and not executing as expected (or at all). But I recently noticed OMV are specific to other versions of distros and with motioneye in others, not to say the least for architectures making it harder to exercise knowledge I have read up on - it feels like you have apples and oranges but aren't allowed to blend both together. I then tried Ubuntu Mate (liked the desktop alot more) but some packages refused to work, became too much of a hassle, then went on with Linux Mint but VirtualBox refused to work properly there so I turned to VMware player, tried with Debian 9 but that was "too new" for OMV (grandpa logic, heh).

I have yet to purchase any Pis because I want the software side of things to work first, and right now it's not. I want to learn and accomplish something useful but it's so demotivational when it all collapses.

I could just use the command line to mount and share the external drive like most experienced linux users do but I'm so far from knowing and understanding the process it's just not feasible - it'd take too much time for something that could just be a tad more simpler to perform.

So yeah, help needed. How do I combine both for one Pi to run? If performance would be an issue I'll just use an Asus Tinkerboard.

• If performance would be an issue I'll just use an Asus Tinkerboard.

LOL, yeah, that's a nice way to multiply the under-voltage issues people are running into with Raspberries already: https://forum.armbian.com/inde…c/4614-asus-tinker-board/

TL;DR: Tinkerboard has a nice but outdated SoC at it's heart and everything built around just doesn't match reality (especially powering through crappy Micro USB port, the forgotten heat dissipation and crappy USB2 design there)

Can't speak about MotionEye but OMV needs a specific Debian version to run and the reason is simply called 'dependency hell'. So with OMV 3.x you need Debian Jessie as base. Fine tuned OS images are available here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/openmediavault/files/ (if you look for alternatives to Raspberries check the ODROID directories and 'Other armhf images' -- what's not listed there as SBC is not recommended. And while I already built an OMV image for Tinkerboard I will not push it to the download area due to Tinkerboard being such a bad choice for a NAS due to its many design flaws)

• LOL, yeah, that's a nice way to multiply the under-voltage issues people are running into with Raspberries already: https://forum.armbian.com/inde…c/4614-asus-tinker-board/
    TL;DR: Tinkerboard has a nice but outdated SoC at it's heart and everything built around just doesn't match reality (especially powering through crappy Micro USB port, the forgotten heat dissipation and crappy USB2 design there)

Can't speak about MotionEye but OMV needs a specific Debian version to run and the reason is simply called 'dependency hell'. So with OMV 3.x you need Debian Jessie as base. Fine tuned OS images are available here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/openmediavault/files/ (if you look for alternatives to Raspberries check the ODROID directories and 'Other armhf images' -- what's not listed there as SBC is not recommended. And while I already built an OMV image for Tinkerboard I will not push it to the download area due to Tinkerboard being such a bad choice for a NAS due to its many design flaws)

I'm not glorifying Tinkerboard because I mentioned it as the only alternative, I simply looked at the specs in contrast to Pi3's and the dimensions aren't unfavorable to the accessories I was looking to use. But thanks for pointing out its issues.

I'll give the amd64 a shot and familiarize myself, just hope it won't end up rejecting one setup for itself.

Edit:

Alright got OMV up and running so far it works, but noticed the drive where omv is installed on doesn't let you create shares - that's intended? Not that it's necessary for future setup but just wanted to try out the features, I associated 20GB for this vm machine.

But I encountered an issue when installing motioneye, most steps went fine but pycurl wouldn't get installed. I'm hesitant to continue to avoid any unknown issues if I did. This is the error message:

Zitat von OMV

Cleaning up...
    Command /usr/bin/python -c "import setuptools, tokenize;__file__='/tmp/pip-build-aK9dHq/pycurl/setup.py';exec(compile(getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(__file__).read().replace('\r\n', '\n'), __file__, 'exec'))" install --record /tmp/pip-LNY8oE-record/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-build-aK9dHq/pycurl
    Storing debug log for failure in /root/.pip/pip.log

In the other distros where motioneye semi-worked this wasn't an issue.

I realize motioneye isn't your forté but pycurl and pillow worked in the other distros and I have no idea why it doesn't in this Debian. apt-get upgrade wouldn't let me any of them. But tornado and jinja2 did install though.

is it because OMV is running python simultaneously?

• Couldn't get some of the dependencies for motioneye to work, so I wanted to try a neutral ground. I previously tried Debian that didn't work out too well, got dependency errors on Ubuntu Server for OMV.

Urrhh, I just want to learn the "software setup"-part before I buy further hardware but regardless the dist I've tried hasn't helped. Quite discouraging.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!