PLEX Plugin cant see plugins folder?

• Im using OpenMediaVault to run my home media server for both my family and friends. When I was running on my older system, I was using a Channel within PLEX called RequestsChannel. It was a handy tool which let users request movies, TV shows and Music all from within the PLEX app. It was convenient and worked well for what I needed it for.

However, when I setup OMV on my server I seem to be unable to see these plugins from within PLEX anymore. I made sure I was putting the plugins within the plug-ins directory from PLEX but when going into PLEX Channels, nothing seems to show up. I've made sure that all my permissions are set correctly, and PLEX can access that folder but it doesn't work at all. I've tried to use a lot of other Plug-ins and none have worked and I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and knows how to fix it?

I've posted this on the /r/PLEX subreddit & the PLEX Forums and nobody has been able to answer as to why this isn't working :( For the moment, I'm having to use Ombi which is a web-based requests system which works but is so much more hassle compared to the simplicity of the PLEX plugin.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have read this so many times I'm going to ask some possibly stupid questions, but this is the way I go about resolving a problem.

First I don't use a Mac nor do I use Plex, those 2 statements themselves would throw up 'this guy doesn't know what he's talking about'.....however, I have also read your 2 post links, both of which infer the same.....'renaming the plugin the mac thinks it's file'.

That's the the part that got me thinking so I followed your link to the RequestChannel on github and I downloaded the file, I can extract that file either on my linux or windows machine, that would give a folder RequestChannel.bundle-master.

Now I'm going to guess 2 things, a) you have to rename that folder to RequestChannel.bundle b) you say renaming that folder your Mac then sees it as system folder.

It's b) that makes sense but no sense; if this was me I would down the zip extract it's content, then using FTP copy that folder (RequestChannel.bundle-master) to the plex plugin folder, then rename it on omv, either within the FTP software or from cli using ssh. What I read, what you are doing is renaming it on your Mac, then copying it to the Plex plugin folder.

As I said I could be typing a load goobledygook, but it's the way I'm looking at it.....and I always reboot after making any changes...just in case :)

• Right, I have tried this and my server is rebooting the now. Fingers crossed this is going to work.

EDIT: It didnt work :(

• Are you sure that you have the correct permission and ownership set on any new files and folders you are adding?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Right, I have tried this and my server is rebooting the now. Fingers crossed this is going to work.

EDIT: It didnt work

Ok I have installed Plex on my omv to get an understanding of the directory structure ....I have no intention of running it, but where did you copy the Requests Channel plugin....full directory path please.

EDIT: Brainstorm mode on; why not install an 'official' Plex plugin and see if that works, at least that will give a starting point.

• I am using the offical PLEX Plugin which is supplied by OMV within the Plug-ins option.

My directory path is as follows:
    /srv/dev-disk-by-label-PLEXMedia/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins

• Are you sure that you have the correct permission and ownership set on any new files and folders you are adding?

Yes, I think so. Could you tell me which permissions they would need to be? (to refresh incase I havent set something right)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am using the offical PLEX Plugin which is supplied by OMV within the Plug-ins option.

My directory path is as follows:
    /srv/dev-disk-by-label-PLEXMedia/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins

Ok, I think that's where the problem is....

that should be /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins

Looking at the installation I have done on my OMV the plugin installs to the media that OMV is installed on, in my case it's a flash drive, so the plex plugin installs under the root directory structure of OMV, this also confirms that, even though that's an install on Ubuntu.

• Ok, I think that's where the problem is....
    that should be /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins

Looking at the installation I have done on my OMV the plugin installs to the media that OMV is installed on, in my case it's a flash drive, so the plex plugin installs under the root directory structure of OMV, this also confirms that, even though that's an install on Ubuntu.

YOU ARE A LIFE SAVER!!!

I dont know why its different this time round, but it works. Thank you so much!

• Offizieller Beitrag

YOU ARE A LIFE SAVER!!!

I dont know why its different this time round, but it works. Thank you so much!

By the Power of Google.......sorry I couldn't resist that :D:D you have to remember that plugins or any other installation will always install under the root of the OS....glad it's sorted, now I can uninstall Plex.

• Its just boggles me, on my older install of OMV I did it the way I said I did it before & it worked perfectly. Dont know what I did differently this time, just glad its working. Thanks for sorting this for me :)

• If you are going to put Plex's Database in /var on the rootfs you better make sure you have enough space there for it to grow along with your media collection. If your rootfs fills up your OMV stops working.

Perhaps my situation is not entirely typical.

My OMV is installed to a 16GB SSD of which only 6GB is actually being used.

My media collection is currently on four 3TB disks and growing all the time. The Plex database directory is on one of those media drives and currently occupies over 200GB of space. Obviously that isn't going to fit on my OMV's 16GB SSD.

Depending on the size of your OMV system drive (which you know) and the potential future size of your media collection (which you can't know now) placing the Plex Database folder on your rootfs might be a trap.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

f you are going to put Plex's Database in /var on the rootfs you better make sure you have enough space there for it to grow along with your media collection. If your rootfs fills up your OMV stops working.

I wonder if that was where the confusion was so /srv/dev-disk-by-label-PLEXMedia/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins was in actual fact the redirection.....I use Emby and my cache and temp transcode folder are on one of my raids as I use a flash drive, so Plex must work on a similar principle so one would change or redirect specific folders from within the media server GUI.

• Plex allows its transcode folder to be user specified. It is not set to be in the Database folder by default nor is that a typically chosen location when specifying it manually.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!