RAID5 after new installation

• Hello,
    I currently have OMV installed (2.X) and got several issue (dependencies etc...).
    System is installed on USB stick, and i have 4 other disks (RAID5).

Instead of doing an update, I'd rather reinstall the system entirely to get back on a clean system.

Is it safe, if I install the new OMV (on USB stick) and then reconnect my 4 disks ?
    Will RAID be seen ? Do I risk losing my data ? I'm afraid that RAID will launch a rebuild :/

Thanks

OMV 3.0.87 (Erasmus)
    HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T - 8GB ECC - 4x Seagate BarraCuda 2TB (RAID5)

Ride safe V

• Will RAID be seen ? Do I risk losing my data ? I'm afraid that RAID will launch a rebuild

There are several threads here in the forum, where people get problems with RAID after reinstalling - and how they have fixed it.

In any case I suggest to make a full data backup before. All other is Russian roulette.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Here's what I plan to do:
    - Full system backup (clonezilla).
    - Disconnection of the 4 disks.
    - Installation of the new system (OMV 3.X).
    - I turn off the system then I connect my 4 disks.

If my RAID is recognized, so much the better !
    If my RAID is not recognized, I turn off the system before it rebuilds RAID, then I restore my system (OMV 2.X) done with Clonezilla.

In this way, do I risk losing my data ?
    The problem is that I do not have enough storage to back up my 6TB of data.

Thanks

OMV 3.0.87 (Erasmus)
    HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T - 8GB ECC - 4x Seagate BarraCuda 2TB (RAID5)

Ride safe V

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Kamiz ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

In this way, do I risk losing my data ?

It is possible that raid won't re-assemble even with restoring your OMV 2.x install. Some people have lost their array just rebooting.

The problem is that I do not have enough storage to back up my 6TB of data.

Just remember raid is not backup...

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• There are several threads here in the forum, where people get problems with RAID after reinstalling - and how they have fixed it.
    In any case I suggest to make a full data backup before. All other is Russian roulette.

Okay, so I'll stay on that version. I would upgrade when I have enough storage to back up the contents of my RAID.

I just want to install Docker plugin, but my kernel is too old, and my system will not boot if I install backports kernel (Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init).
    This is mainly why I want to upgrade to OMV 3.X. :/

OMV 3.0.87 (Erasmus)

Ride safe V

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Kamiz ()

• I would upgrade when I have enough storage to back up the contents of my RAID.

:thumbup::thumbup:

If you haven´t created any backups yet, the switchover to OMV 3 is a really good oppertunity to do that!

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!