Which official plugins from 2.x are not supported at 3.x?

• Hi,

im also having trouble with the upgrade to erasmus. I have no external plugins installed and want simply prepare the upgrade properly.

Is there a list which plugins included in OMV 2 are not ported yet to OMV 3?
    (It's somehow strange there seems to be no checking mechanism as this forum is full of problems related to this one)

Thanks in advance
    - Michael

• Offizieller Beitrag

(It's somehow strange there seems to be no checking mechanism as this forum is full of problems related to this one)

There is. It just doesn't work very well and one of the main reasons we recommend a clean install instead of an upgrade.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for this starting point - through that i came to the idea to check via cli which plugins are installed. Result: none (openmediavault-keyring looks for me like a apt-keyring and not like an unsupported plugin).

So this process ends up to trial'n'error. i've tried already four times to upgrade (can try again thanks to vmware snapshots) - but not to repair the installation after upgrade. Let's see...

EDIT:

@ryecoaaron: You were faster with you answer. Okay, but then it would be nice to communicate this in a broad way - in that case i wouldn't try four times. Even in the wiki there is no hint...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Okay, but then it would be nice to communicate this in a broad way - in that case i wouldn't try four times. Even in the wiki there is no hint...

Just as you pointed out that the forum is full of problems upgrading, it is also full of us saying upgrades aren't recommended. Also, the official 3.x release announcement says please consider to reinstall your system with OMV3. As for the wiki, I don't have (and don't want) access to it.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Thanks for posting a link to the release annoncement. I've searched for it - i read it quickly shortly after Volker posted it and did not remember properly.

So as a summary for other readers, TL,DR:
    Do not upgrade but reinstall as there are incompatibilities. Even without additional plugins.

- Michael

• Thanks for posting a link to the release annoncement. I've searched for it - i read it quickly shortly after Volker posted it and did not remember properly.

So as a summary for other readers, TL,DR:
    Do not upgrade but reinstall as there are incompatibilities. Even without additional plugins.

- Michael

I agree that a fresh install instead of an upgrade is best practice. But I had a huge investment in my OMV 2.x install beyond OMV itself. When I tried doing an upgrade it was always on a copy of my existing OMV 2.x. That way if it failed to upgrade to 3.x I could always go back to the existing 2.x install.

I tried this many times and it always failed. But, being stubborn, I persisted. Eventually I was able to do a successful upgrade from 2.x to 3.x. It wasn't a matter of removing incompatible plugins though. What worked in the end was uninstalling all plugins from the shell (not the GUI) and then upgrading to 3.x.

I'm glad I persisted in trying because there was no way I was going to install 3.x from scratch and then buildup the rest of the system from scratch also. I would have just stuck with OMV 2.x instead.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have been able to get plenty of upgrades to work. I just don't think people without very strong Linux/Debian skills should upgrade.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!