Use Hauppauge TV Tuner for Plex DVR

• OMV 3.x
    • Use Hauppauge TV Tuner for Plex DVR

Hello, all, I'd like to take advantage of the new Plex DVR/Live TV system by hooking up my antenna and Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD. The device is listed as compatible for both Plex DVR and Linux here: support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/artic…-DVR-Devices-and-Antennas

There are instructions for installing the PPA under Ubuntu here: hauppauge.com/site/support/linux.html Obviously, this is Debian, and the PPA's don't work precisely the same. I attempted to modify the /etc/apt/sources.list with:

Source Code

1. deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/b-rad/kernel+mediatree+hauppauge/ubuntu yakkety main
      2. deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/b-rad/kernel+mediatree+hauppauge/ubuntu yakkety main

I then installed the 4.8 linux-image-mediatree and linux-headers-mediatree. The install seemed successful, but I still can't see the tuner under the Plex screen. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    • PC92 wrote:

Hello, I use the same TV tuner Hauppage for the VDR pluging in OMV 3.x. I had only to install firmware-linux-nonfree to make this device visible by VDR. It works with OMV 2.x too.
      Thank you for your reply! I'll give this a shot when I get home.

Edit: Unfortunately I still wasn't able to get this up and running. I also could not get VDR to see it. Any additional input would be appreciated.

The post was edited 1 time, last by johndoe86x ().

• I'm having similar problems ... would love some pointers to troubleshoot it... I know that the device is seen (from dmesg)

[ 2.471463] usb 7-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-pci
      [ 2.620887] usb 7-1: New USB device found, idVendor=2040, idProduct=026d
      [ 2.620890] usb 7-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=1, SerialNumber=2
      [ 2.620892] usb 7-1: Product: 955D
      [ 2.620893] usb 7-1: Manufacturer: HCW
      [ 2.620895] usb 7-1: SerialNumber: 0013913859

and I can use " lsusb -v -d 2040:026d" to find the information on the USB Tuner. However in dmesg I am not seeing any of the driver lines (em28xx or tveeprom) as indicated in the Linux4TV page (linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-dualHD)

Since Hauppauge only offers Ubuntu PPAs (hauppauge.com/site/support/linux.html) I'm not quite sure what .DEB packages are the equivalent...

I'm up to date on all my packages - including openmediavault 3.0.87 - and I am using Linux 4.9.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 for a kernel.

@PC92 indicated that they installed openmediavault-vdr and firmware-linux-nonfree. My experience was unfortunately not similar.

Any thoughts?

The post was edited 1 time, last by LogicallyRogue: Additional information ().

• My tuner is about 3 years old. My OMV 3.x was installed on a Debian 8.8 with KDE GUI. I have activated Openmediavault-vdr-extra plugin. May be that there are some additional components that enable the tuner. I did'nt install any additional deb except firmware-linux-nonfree. You may install a configuration like mine in a VM and try the tuner.

The post was edited 1 time, last by PC92 ().