fstab identifiers

• On OMV 2.x in fstab the identifier is "by-uuid".

Om OMV 3.x the identifier is "by-label."

Is there an environment variable or other method available within OMV that would allow having the identifier set to "by-id."?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there an environment variable or other method available within OMV that would allow having the identifier set to "by-id."?

Nope, not as far as I know.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I wonder if the hand edits I did to fstab within the [openmediavault] section will stick or will OMV wipe them out?

I am going to add a new disk to the machine and see what happens when I configure the new disk within OMV.

I expect OMV to add it in "by-label" and hope to get lucky and not have all my /dev/disk/by-id/...... edits reset.

Edit:

All my hand edits reverted. Oh well.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

I wonder if the hand edits I did to fstab within the [openmediavault] section will stick or will OMV wipe them out?

OMV will wipe them out unless you change config.xml. Plugins wouldn't work either because they get the filesystem mount point from config.xml not fstab. Just look in the mntent section if you want to edit them. omv-mkconf fstab will fix fstab with your edits but you will need to create the mountpoint.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Plugins wouldn't work either because they get the filesystem mount point from config.xml not fstab.

I'm not interested in changing the mount points, just the device identifiers.

I have this:

UUID=41991950-4d12-4475-86b8-ba54ec09323b /media/41991950-4d12-4475-86b8-ba54ec09323b ext4 defaults,nofail,user_xattr,noexec..........

But I want this:

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0_WD-WCC4N3YP9KRP-part1 /media/41991950-4d12-4475-86b8-ba54ec09323b ext4 defaults,nofail,user_xattr,noexec..........

Where do I submit a feature request? :)

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0_WD-WCC4N3YP9KRP-part1 /media/41991950-4d12-4475-86b8-ba54ec09323b ext4 defaults,nofail,user_xattr,noexec..........

That is what the new method (OMV 3.0.71+) does.
    Here is my fstab on my test VM:

If you did need to submit a feature request, it would be here.

• I looked closely at all 16 lines of your fstab but I did not see any that say:

/dev/disk/by-id/

I'll submit a feature request.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

/dev/disk/by-id/

Sorry missed that small detail.

• If the partition has a label then:
    dev-disk-by-label-Data1

Without label:
    ata-WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0_WD-WCC4N3YP9KRP-part1

Not sure what your point is.

What I am after is having a unique device identifier that I can directly relate to the hardware.

"by-label" doesn't do that.

"by-id" does.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not sure what your point is.
    What I am after is having a unique device identifier that I can directly relate to the hardware.

"by-label" doesn't do that.

"by-id" does.

he means if no label is set, by-id will be used. That's actually commented in filesystem.inc source file. So the order is label, fallback to by-id, and finally sdX if no id is found.
    If you want to use by-id don't set the labels or delete them before registering in the backend.

• I’m struggling with the ID-by-Label naming as my disc names are becoming huge, e.g.:

Code
    /media/dev-disk-by-id-ata-HGST_HTS541010A9E680_JA1000100EJ13P-part1

Whereas in Storage/File Systems this disc has the Label “Back-Up II”.

In contrast, my disc labelled “Slave” has this “simple” ID:

Code
    /media/dev-disk-by-label-Slave

Can I force the Back Up II ID to be the “short form” of:?

Code
    /media/dev-disk-by-id-Back Up II

The problem with the long name is that is that it gobbles sufficient file name space to overrun Windows’ maximum file length and render files unreadable without moving them to a higher directory.

Additionally, for every “dev-disk-by-id” entry in WinSCP I also have a dead (empty) entry for the UUID. Can I kill this?

Thanks.

ps: it would be even nicer to have, just:

Code
    /media/Slave
    /media/Back Up II

OMV 4.1.8.2-1
    Rock64, 1Gb
    Logitech Media Server 7.9.2

• I have not managed to get my USB discs to be visible by label in WinSCP. By editing config.xmland running omv-mkconf fstab I unwittingly generated a new entry in WinSCP:

Original entry:
    /media/dev-disk-by-id-usb-HitachiG_ST_21001205140000007959-0-0-part1

New additional entry:
    /media/dev-disk-by-label-Back Up I

The new entry has no sub-folders. I couldn’t work out how to unregister the disc and tried:

echo 1 > /sys/block/sda/device/deleteThis only lost the disc in the OMV GUI.

Can you say what entries/edits I need to do make to achieve the desired result, please?

OMV 4.1.8.2-1
    Rock64, 1Gb
    Logitech Media Server 7.9.2

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!