Help with picking a correct filesystem for my build

• Hi folks,

I would like to rebuild my omv nas with omv 3.0.86, it will be used mainly for stream through plex and backup my home pc so nothing fancy, but I'm a bit stuck on which one filesystem to use to best suits my setup, so I'm looking for suggestions here, anyone would like to share with me different thoughts?

Right now here is my setup and my idea any motivated suggestion on that would be great:

Build:

SSD = Omv os -> EXT4
    is the default from the installer can't see any way to change it, it's ok ext4 for main os is good.

2 tb wd red = will store all my movies tv shows etc to stream through plex and will be the base for shared folder with samba aswell -> XFS
    I think xfs is a good choice for this type of hard disk usage, am I wrong? do you guys suggest another filesystem for this one?

1 tb wd blue = backup hard disk for my home pc to use with urbackup -> BTRFS
    I picked this because I'm interested in all btrfs features for recover compression etc, I also see through urbackup site that btrfs is suggested with urbackup due to compression layer, so I hope to get it right (but again if you have a different idea you are welcome to share)

2 tb wd blue = parity disk of snapraid for both the upper hard disks -> XFS or BTRFS or EXT4
    This is the most doubtful, I cannot decide, I thought xfs could be a good choice for something so big that change so few, but then I thought btrfs compression bitrot failsafe and other feature could be great for having parity stored on it (I also read from the main snapraid site that maybe issue could arise with btrfs+snapraid? something related with speed etc.? am I wrong?) or just go with the old ext4. So again any idea about this could be really great!

Indeed I'm aware of btrfs problem with raid 5\6 but I'm not planning to use raid at all, I will use all of them as separated single disks, so I thought the feature of it were worth to be considered instead of going directly to ext4 direction for all of them, but I'm open to any suggestion.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would just use ext4. xfs is hard to recover files from if something goes wrong or is accidentally deleted. If you are interested about btrfs, try it out in a VM but I don't think compression will do much good with backups (already compressed).

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I would just use ext4. xfs is hard to recover files from if something goes wrong or is accidentally deleted. If you are interested about btrfs, try it out in a VM but I don't think compression will do much good with backups (already compressed).

Ok thank you! I will follow the suggestion then everything on ext4, I was thinking btrfs is ready for production now (apart from raid 5\6) but if you suggest me to play with it in a vm, is not really I guess, so back to basics and ext4 then :)

Thank you

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!