• I'm in need of some expert advice on a home NAS solution, in short I would appreciate community input over whether ARM or an x86/64 build best suits my use case.

Here’s a list of currently known plugin/service requirements:

• Subsonic (multiple concurrent clients, audio only but with some FLAC transcoding)
    • MiniDLNA (one or two concurrent clients)
    • BTSync (might favour non-ARM CPUs?)
    • iSCSI (for experimentation)

I have 2 x 2TB external USB 3.0 HDD’s which should be reused, ideally without liberation from their OEM housing, even if that might help with heat and thus lifespan.

Two hardware options currently under consideration:

• Qotom i5-5250U | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | £265
    • ODROID XU4 | 2GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 16GB eMMC (OS) | Cloudshell Case | £230

I’ve good experience with Qotom in an earlier pfSense router build, so this is a platform I would happily revisit if suitable for the job. However ODROID and ARM would be new territory, frustratingly it seems impossible to get a good feel for comparative performance against them and more traditional Intel architectures …multiple cores but with more limited instruction sets, and perhaps with ODROID some thermal issues.

Thanks everyone, please let me know your thoughts.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you are worried about performance, always go with the i5. It is much faster. Plus, you could install the virtualbox plugin to do your experimentation with iscsi (which may not compile on the arm kernels). I also wouldn't use btsync since it is closed source now and the last open source client is 3+ years old. Try syncthing. You might also want to consider the rock64 board if you really want an arm board.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks @ryecoaaron - Really appreciate your input, I had suspected the i5 might perform better but needed confirmation of that fact. On cost there’s little difference between them and in terms of reusability the Qotom seems infinitely more flexible, especially when factoring in all those Intel NICs (product page).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!