Asmedia 1062 sata controller crash sytem

• My omv 3.0.86 runs on an MSI AM1I motherboard which has only 2 sata ports. I added an Asmedia 1062 sata controller but system boot loop or crash instantly if hot plug a drive to this controller.
    I can boot the system with the controller inserted but no drive attached and it is listed with lspci. As soon i attache a drive it list some messages an reboot instantly.
    If I boot with a drive connected at one of its port int recognize the drive but right after grub is loaded system crash and reboots.
    I know it's a cheep controller but all I need is two extra sata ports, no raid.
    I"ve tried to set IDE instead of ahci but no luck, tried different sata cable and different hdd but no luck.
    Can someone help me to install this controller? Do I have to install some driver first and after that try to connect a hdd to it?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok I have had a search for this and there are a number of solutions with various distro's, one of those options is the pass through which you have tried, that was one solution I found but it was disabled within the bios in relation to the slot the card is plugged into. Some m'board bios do have settings for various pci/pci-e slots.

• Offizieller Beitrag

My board is an itx board with only one pci-e 16x slot and in bios there are few setting but non of them related to pci-e slot.
    The controller I have is like this:

Your links are similar to one's I found and they are earlier kernels, usually by this time there is some resolution, but with this particular board it's problematic. Most of the information is related to CD/DVD drives being connected and the errors do relate to libata.atapi, but again those who have found a workaround and others that have tried that workaround still get an error.
    In fact on one site is was recommended to stay clear of this adaptor, as any change either to the m'board settings or the kernel either worked or didn't. There was one thread on the ArchLinux forum that came up with a solution but that mean't a kernel rebuild.......this is way beyond my remit understanding i/o and atapi, achi etc, but I do think there is an option you can add to get this to work.
    If this was me I would install omv on a flash drive and boot from that, then add two drives to the onboard connectors before even thinking about attaching anything to that controller....if that works then add a drive to the controller, if you then get an error and according to the searches it will generate a log file which might determine what is happening and the subsequent error message maybe enough to search for a solution.

• Thank you very much for your advice and opinions.
    I will make a fresh install of omv which will be my last try to install and use this controller. It will probably not work but I will give it a try.

I have a main data drive and a ssd system drive and need a third drive for backup, not the entire data drive just some critical folder. At this point I am not shore how to proceed. Install omv on a usb drive like you mentioned and use the two sata ports for data drive and backup or connect the backup drive on an usb3 port which I think is also ok in terms of speed. But this is out of the thread subject now

• Offizieller Beitrag

or connect the backup drive on an usb3 port which I think is also ok in terms of speed

That would be the best option, omv has a usb backup plugin that will automount and unmount, the option of running omv on flash drive and using another usb for backup would solve your problem as I don't think that card is going to work the way you need it too.
    The other advantage of booting from usb it would allow you to try and find a solution.

• So I did a fresh install of omv and the controller board don't work, at least not out of the box. Maybe trying to hack the driver but could not find any linux driver for this controller and also I am a beginner in linux so there is little chance to make it work. I would rather say stay away from this cheap controller board.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So I did a fresh install of omv and the controller board don't work, at least not out of the box. Maybe trying to hack the driver but could not find any linux driver for this controller and also I am a beginner in linux so there is little chance to make it work. I would rather say stay away from this cheap controller board.

From looking around it certainly doesn't want to play with Linux, and if you have it working from usb then that's a bonus.

• Offizieller Beitrag

After I posted I found a site with Asmedia 1062 firmware:

http://www.station-drivers.com…func=select&id=22&lang=en

Do you think flashing a new firmware on that board will help?
    Is this board supported with kernel 4.9.0-0.bpo.3-amd64?

Sorry I just caught this....in all honesty you have nothing to lose.....the least it would do is possibly brick it....then you could suspend in resin as a reminder :) but I doubt very much that would make a difference, the issue is the lack of driver support....you could try putting on fleabay, you might get enough for a couple beers :thumbup:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!