Backup solution for server

• Offizieller Beitrag

With OMV comes "usbbackup". When this plug-in is enabled and configured it will copy all shared folders you have configured to an external USB drive when this drive is plugged in. After the files are copied the external USB drive is unmounted and it is safe to remove the drive.

Amother sollution is to make a backup to the cloud. For example using Crashplan.

Or you backup your data to another small (cheap) server running OMV (like based on BananaPi or another ARM powered device) using rsync which also comes with OMV.
    Rsync-two-OMV-machines

For the system drive the only good solution (in my view) is to make a copy of the drive using Clonezilla. In OMV extras menue in "Kernel" you can install Clonezilla and configure OMV so that the next time the server is booted it will boot in Clonezilla and not OMV. You need to have a display attached to the server or use SSH (Putty).

• Thanks @macom for your overview of the several possibilites to backup a server. Please let me make some additions.

it will copy all shared folders you have configured to an external USB drive when this drive is plugged in.

For usbbackup it is also possible to use eSATA or hot pluggable SATA drives. This is what I use for data backup of my server (several USB- and eSATA drives).

For the system drive the only good solution (in my view) is to make a copy of the drive using Clonezilla. In OMV extras menue in "Kernel" you can install Clonezilla and configure OMV so that the next time the server is booted it will boot in Clonezilla and not OMV. You need to have a display attached to the server or use SSH (Putty).

For the system drive I am using clonezilla via SSH access. It is important to know that the clonezilla live image is configured for DHCP. This means that the SSH access to Clonezilla might have a different IP address than the OMV server. At the beginning I didn´t know that and had some troubles to find the right one.
    The logon credentials are: user / live
    After login it must be started with sudo clonezilla

The backup- and restore process is quite easy. I have heared that a restore to a media with different size as the source could be difficult. But I haven´t tried this yet.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• I actually have my backup drive in a slot in my server rather than in an external drive. What software might work with that or I guess I could just buy an external hd case for my backup drive. I also have another server running Windows Home Server 2011. That might be my preferred way to back up. What software on omv would I use to backup to my Windows server.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!