Why would removing a specific data drive prevent my system from booting?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Why would removing a specific data drive prevent my system from booting?

New

I installed OMV to an SSD with no other drives attached. I then added an additional SSD and formatted it to ext4. I then added eight data drives, one at a time, and formatted them from ntfs to ext4. Those eight drives were then pooled with the unionfilesystem mergerfs plugin. Just now, I was attempting to add my two parity drives, also ntfs, one at a time, to format them and set up SnapRAID.

Initially, neither of the drives were recognized, so I tried moving my existing drives around in their drive caddies to ensure there wasn't a hardware problem. I found that removing one specific drive will prevent OMV from booting. I am not sure the exact point where the boot fails as it is a headless system and I haven't plugged in a monitor, but if that drive isn't installed, I can't SSH into the server and the web UI doesn't load. It seems like any other disk, or combination of disks, can be missing with no ill effects, but this one drive must be present.

Is there any reason why this might be the case? Any specific troubleshooting I can do? It happens to be one of my oldest and smallest drives, so I'm likely going to want to replace it soon. I'd prefer to figure this out now than wait until that day comes and I have no idea why my machine no longer boots.
    • New

I suppose that is possible, but I definitely waited much longer than is normally necessary for the UI to load. Also, I noticed that immediately upon powering on the machine, the activity light on that drive lights up, and stays lit for several seconds during the initial boot, whereas the other data disks are unlit until much later.

I thought maybe the drive was old enough that it had a jumper set incorrectly, but the pins were bare.

Reset BIOS to optimized defaults?
    • New

Hi I was actually just thinking you shouldn't attempt to reset the BIOS... I believe this will almost undoubtedly lead to problems booting, especially if you had made changes to the stock BIOS configuration before installing OMV. In case you want to attempt this as a last resort, you should take careful note of your current BIOS settings so that you can reestablish them in case it creates issues.

Best of luck.
      :cursing: Intel NUC Kit DE3815TYKHE - ARK
      Atom E3815 1.46GHz / 4GB RAM / 1TB SSHD / 32GB MLC USB
      OMV 3.x | OMV-Extras | Pi-hole
    • New

drinks2go wrote:

Hi I was actually just thinking you shouldn't attempt to reset the BIOS... I believe this will almost undoubtedly lead to problems booting, especially if you had made changes to the stock BIOS configuration before installing OMV. In case you want to attempt this as a last resort, you should take careful note of your current BIOS settings so that you can reestablish them in case it creates issues.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the warning. I haven't had time to play around with this yet but I wouldn't have considered that.
    • Users Online 1

1 Guest