Banana Pi - OS backup

• I have certain issues to reach stable install PAST MONTH on my Banana Pi.
    My configuration is: Running Banana Pi SD nand-sata-install to USB flash drive (from now on I just call it USB) to stay away from problems with SD errors... Doesn't help to reach stable installation. And two HDDs plugged in - first is SATA + luks encrypted, second USB case HDD.
    After certain plugins installed, I guess, in some stage of setting up things, Banana Pi after restart won't boot - won't reach state when I can access web interface nor ssh login.
    I tried to keep up with it to back up Win32DiskImager to backup *.img but it does whole device and on recovery in some point backup *.img won't fit SD card.
    Recently I was trying Clonezilla through my Virtual linux but I cannot successfully backup SDcard. If you guys will strongly recommend this option I'll go this way. And I'll pass "error message" here...
    Is there something else then clonezilla more user friendly which creates some kind of image of partition with few clicks?
    I tired to backup and recover data with Luckybackup to second SDcard and second USB but my second set won't work. or combination with original SDcard and USB. I'll soon try to recover data to the same SDcard and USB. Is there reason why recovery to different SDcard and USB doesn't work because some device ID based reference?

• To make a backup of the SD card should have the cards same company, same large, and class.

Nope. You can 'backup' every source to every destination as long as there's enough free space there (backup = filesystem copy) and if you want to clone SD cards just choose another one of 'same size' and then do a block based clone.

I'm using for this purpose ddrescue (SD card to image) and then either compress the image for later use (7z a -t7z -bd -m0=lzma2 -mx=9 -mfb=64 -md=32m -ms=on lala.7z lala.img) or burn the image again using Etcher of course. If the source was an Armbian or recent OMV installation then SD card of 'same size' can be taken literally since Armbian does not use the entire capacity of SD cards since over a year now but leaves some spare are so cloning to slightly smaller SD cards isn't an issue any more (16 GB to 16 GB should always work, 16 GB to 8 GB not of course)

• Running Banana Pi SD nand-sata-install to USB flash drive (from now on I just call it USB) to stay away from problems with SD errors...

There exist crappy SD cards and crappy USB thumb drives. And there exist good SD cards and good USB thumb drives. If you choose a good SD card there's no need to use an USB thumb drive (writes to SD card are minimal anyway if you use flashmemory plugin which should be the default).

I would try to analyze why you run in instability problems (please keep in mind that those Bananas use the crap connector called 'Micro USB' for powering so you're most probably an under-voltage victim), unless you provide log files it's hard to guess anything (armbianmonitor -u) and wrt SD cards and partitioning for sunxi devices you have to follow this scheme: http://linux-sunxi.org/Bootable_SD_card#SD_Card_Layout (there must be some stuff on the SD card before the partitions carrying the data start otherwise no boot is possible)

As a general rule of thumb: Once you resolve powering and SD card issues you're done. On a Banana Pi that means avoiding the shitty connector to power the board (check LeMaker forum how to power the Banana through the SATA power port), power all disks separately and then just buy a genuine Samsung EVO or EVO+, check it prior to usage, stop wasting your time and enjoy your BanaNAS.

• I'm using SanDisk cards, I believe them that they are good enough. I'll stick with it for now.
    As device for nand-sata I'm using SanDisk USB Ultra Fit 16GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive. I'l believe it is good enough.

Zitat von tkaiser

check LeMaker forum how to power the Banana through the SATA power port

In my case it is free. Simply just like that bring power up to this sata power connector. OK if you say so. I have 2A USB adaptor powering that Banana Pi. And separate connector for that sata power. Should I just DIY it and put it too gather (in right order of course)?

• I have 2A USB adaptor powering that Banana Pi

Sorry, I'm too exhausted to further elaborate on why Micro USB is shit and why SBC that use Micro USB for DC-IN should be avoided. Just two links:

• OK, I have used 5V 2A power supply where I have replaced original USB cable with 18AWG (about 60cm) with sata connector on the end. I ended-up with output of 5.6V when I measured it with Voltmeter. Please let me know If it is too much (seems like it is...). I couldn't google any maximum recommended Voltage for Banana Pi. I believe there is some shutdown diode or some kind of protection or "regulator"...

• Hi
    You have not under load measure (5.6V) because you do not have to worry.
    Underload you will have about 4.9 V.
    apt install gawk
    nano power.sh

chmod +x power.sh
    ./power.sh

https://github.com/Wolf2000Pi

OMV6 Hewlett-Packard HPE-411at - Intel Core i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz - 16GB Ram

Proxmox omv 7 sandworm Dell OptiPlex 7050 i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz - 32GB Ram (Test!!!!)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Wolf2000 ()

• Fix that:

Output:

Code
    Strom - Verbrauch
    5.6644 Volt 0.564375 Ampere 3.19685 Watt
    ---------------------------------------

So, no under-voltage. What about over-voltage?

• Gone again. After restart - no access to web interface, no ssh, no ping. Left it running for about 10 minutes to be sure it is not just booting long.
    Im ordering EVO SD card. Any recommended USB flash drive for nand-sata?
    Pity I have no respond to debug. Nor visual through HDMI, if it only helps...

And I appreciate your every help tkaiser. I feel bad wasting your time as well.
    Or anyone help appreciated.

• 5.6644 Volt 0.564375 Ampere 3.19685 Watt

I've never tried to provide more than 5.25V just to be sure (you would have to check schematic how USB ports and HDMI voltages are generated, if the 5V needed there are directly taken from DC-IN with almost 5.7V you're way off and I would assume a connected HDMI display will use some protection circuitry to prevent damage -- HDMI allows 4.8V to 5.3V while USB allows 4.75V to 5.25V).

And the best way to get debug output is to connect a serial console via a USB-serial-adapter as outlined here: http://linux-sunxi.org/Banana_Pi#Adding_a_serial_port

• After so many re-installs... This time I have restarted B-Pi after every single thing/service setup was done..
    It is gone again, after SFTP plugin settings... SFTP comes from testing repo... (btw. I use luks for one of my drives, which needs unlocking after restart - might be there clush?...). What is the way I can debug what is causing this crashes. Should I enable HDMI?
    From beginning it felt like it didn't like SFTP....

I will do this couple more times (reinstall, with different SD cards...) exactly and proof that it won't boot after SFTP installed.

• OK half way there.
    To answer myself for Backup solution is simply dd command - https://www.htpcguides.com/eas…y-pi-sd-card-with-ubuntu/
    Going through complicated clonezilla, rulles messing up? luckybackup, I have then ended up using RAW data backup using simple logic described in link above.

Another issue is that my OS is crushing (I know why now)... I'll try solve it and describe solution in another thread of mine: Things went South after update

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!