OMV Freezes at random

• Hello All,

First post from a fairly new user of OMV......currently on my second build, first build was OMV 2, this one is OMV 3. OMV 2 was rock stable and would run for months without any problems, however OMV 3 is freezing at random moments and will require a manual reboot to restore normal operation. This can occur within minutes of startup, or may be one/two days later
    Specs of the most recent build are:

Nforce4-A939 motherboard
    Athlon 64 3500+ Processor
    4G of ram in 4x1G sticks
    OCZ Vertex 3 SSD as OS drive
    8 x 1TB Data drives

I've changed the ram as memtest 86+ found a small number of errors in one stick, but this had no effect.

The log file does have an awful lot of entries of one particular type......these are occurring at up to two per minute

Code
    Aug 12 08:02:16 MEDIASERVER avahi-daemon[1190]: Invalid response packet from host 192.168.0.12.

when the freeze occurs this will often be the last entry in the log file.
    I've found several references to this error, but it appears that this was fixed back in 2015/16

Would anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your time.......

John

• Offizieller Beitrag

That's very old platform, actually my first assemble was that epox 9npa with a venice, later an opteron 170.
    I would bet on the RAM, suggestion leave one stick....if the server is not overloaded (any mono app is a ram hog) 1GB ram should be enough and let it run see if it crashes. Is also good to have a screen attached to see if there is kernel backtrace there.

If still fails try another another single stick. Another fail i would start looking at the power supply.

• Thanks Subzero,

I'm not in front of the box at the moment, but I'll try that tonight and see what happens. I have got a screen attached (should have mentioned that....) the cursor simply stops flashing, no messages at all, except on one occasion when the screen filled with messages so fast it was unreadable!!

Regards

John

• Further update......

OMV had frozen again after an uptime of approximately eight hours, still getting loads of messages about "invalid response packet".
    Removed all but one stick of ram, while I was inside I took the opportunity to check the heatsink compound between the CPU and the heatsink. Found it all dry and crumbly, so cleaned up and replaced with fresh heat sink compound. The freezes did not appear to be related to high load conditions, but might as well eliminate another variable!

Also, should add that all plugins are disabled.

Regards

John

• Thanks Subzero,

That is the essence of what I was able to find online, tried a few of the solutions suggested.....disabling IPV6 on the windows machine was one of them....nothing seemed to get rid of them.
    I expect I'll probably put in a filter to cut them out as it seems that they are harmless.
    Back to the crashing.......so far there have been no more, so i think you are probably right about the ram. I'll try adding the other three sticks back in one at a time and see if the crash recurs.
    Is it possible that the SSD is going bad? It's not new......probably about six years old, but very lightly used. I do have a much newer Intel SSD that I could put in and use as the system drive.

Regards

John

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ssd should have wearing level. Smart attributes should indicate that, in general the behavior of wasted media in the os has symptoms of command execution fail, that means errors all over the place in the ui, but I haven't heard of freeze or complete crash.
    Can you still buy new ram for that socket? If not that means all the ram you're sourcing is second hand.

• Yes, the ram is new (as in never used, supplied in its original sealed packaging), all sticks tested ok under memtest 86+
    I'll leave the SSD as it is for now, currently running with 2G of ram......no crash / hang yet :thumbup:
    I'll put another stick in tomorrow evening if its still stable.

Many thanks for your help......very much appreciated!

Regards

John

• Update.......no further "Invalid response packet from host" messages. Been up for 48 hours without a crash / hang, just about to shut down and add another ram stick.

• Hi SubZero,

Many thanks for your help, you were absolutely right........third stick caused the crash/hang again, removed and put fourth stick in, no further crashes, been running for almost 48 hours.

Now the log is not being swamped with "Invalid response from host" messages, I've noticed that there are a couple of messages about the SSD.... Uncorrected error count rising from 102 to 103
    Do you reckon the SSD is on the way out as well?

Regards

John

• Hi Subzero,

Many thanks for your help, I have reinstalled OMV on a new Intel SSD and it is running well. Certainly one stick of ram was bad, possibly two?

Regards

John

• Have same trouble on omv6. Random freezing that no service availiable. no ssh connect. all vms not accesiable, all docker mot accessiable and no ping. First i should do is check logs after reboot and memtest for my RAM?

OMV 6.
    Motherboard: Intel DP55WG
    CPU: Intel Xeon X3470
    12GB DDR3 RAM
    WD Black WD5000LPSX - system
    WD Blue 4GB x4 - RAID 10
    500GB SSD x2 - RAID 1 for VM's and Docker containers

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!