RSYNC Home Directories

• I am wondering how you backup the home directories for users, using rsync. All my user home directory point to the same shared_folder /HOMEUSERS (although I hide it in SMB shares).

I have Rsync server setup on the main SOURCE server and using a PULL-rsync on the DESTINATION backup server. Rsync works ok for the various shared directories.

I am using my username and password (from the source server) and a folder "/homeusers" to store everyones home directory files. When I run rsync, from the DESTINATION server I get the error: "permission denied (13) rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred. (see previous errors) (code 23)" obviously, as it contains user who aren't me!

So, do I need to create new user in the SOURCE server with some kind of root super-human-powers to enable RSYNC to access and back up everyones user home-directory files in /homeusers (my shared folder)?

This is only a family server and I am beginning to think it was mistake to switch on 'home-directories'. It might have been less hassle to have just created a named shared for each family member "Andrew_space" for example, and set priviledges for the username on those. At least I would be able to 'see' them to RSYNC them to backup.

PS. I tried omv 3.0 but couldn't find my beloved clonezilla grub plugin for backing up OS. I tried the one that throws everything onto usb, but couldn't see how to restore it, so thought I'd stick with v2.0 for now. :thumbup:
    pps. I tried unraid. Nice parity disk idea (over snapraid) but OMG the things you need to know, before you need to know them..and they want money for it too! OMV is so much better at working out of the box.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am wondering how you backup the home directories for users, using rsync. All my user home directory point to the same shared_folder /HOMEUSERS

You can't rsync individual home directories from the web interface but you should be able to rsync the home directory shared folder.

I tried omv 3.0 but couldn't find my beloved clonezilla grub plugin for backing up OS

I moved clonezilla, systemrescuecd, and gparted live from the backup plugin to the kernel tab in omv-extras itself since it was doing kernel/grub stuff already.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I solved it.

I had to create a new user called 'RSYNC' and make it part of both the USER and ROOT groups and then use this username to make the pull request. With this, it was able to backup the directory with everyone's home directory in it.

:)

ARGHH! - not if failed again: "rsync: opendir "andrew" (in homeusers) failed: Permission denied (13)" === oh don't worry, I've had enough of home directories. I am going back to separate named directories. It's a lot easier and less hassle :)

Thanks anyway

J.

• Offizieller Beitrag

ARGHH! - not if failed again: "rsync: opendir "andrew" (in homeusers) failed: Permission denied (13)" === oh don't worry, I've had enough of home directories. I am going back to separate named directories. It's a lot easier and less hassle

Wouldn't you have to add the rsync user to the homeusers share or to each persons home share...

• Well none of the users had explicit priveledges on that share. But I tried ticking read/write for user rsync against the whole /homeuser share. user "john" (me) and "andrew" have their homedirectories within that and rsync user complained that:

---
    rsync: opendir "andrew" (in homeusers) failed: Permission denied (13)
    35a2-dd23-4746-8ed6-036ac2d37d68/Homeusers/> ...

receiving incremental file list

sent 42 bytes received 268 bytes 620.00 bytes/sec
    total size is 4410 speedup is 14.23
    -----

I checked all the spelling of homedirectory and all the usual rsync things. But it quite happily works on all other shares. I can't even use a windows syncbak program, as it would need to log in with different usernames.

Short of CHOWNing the entire thing to root and CHMODing everything open... This is probably why I gave up on home directories in the past.

Ah well, I'll create shares for each person with their name on and do it that way. :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!