Beginner questuons: HP ProLiant

• Hello,

At the moment two 2-bay arm-based Synology NAS are running at home.
    For several reasons I would like to build a new NAS: running a plex server and expanding to more than 2-bay.

After reading a few sites, I decided to install OMV on a HP ProLiant microserver gen8 or gen10.

Perhaps, the community can answer some questions before buying the server:
    I read installing OMV is a bit difficult, so I am planning to connect my external mac USB-DVD-drive and burningthe newest OMV image to a disc.

Next, I would like to install at first 2 x 3,5“ WD green hdds to SATA-3-ports, later 2 x WD red to SATA-2. Then I plan to install the image to a system SSD. ÜBut, is there a internal 5th SATA-port for e. g. a 30 GB system SSD? Or, is it possible to connect a system SDD via SATA-to-internal-USB adapter?
    Finally, I am asking myself of buying gen8 or gen10...

As the ProLiant uses 4GB RAM, running zfs is mot recommended. What kind of file system should I prefer, ext4?

Little help would be great...

• Hello,

my impression is that most of your questions are less related to OMV but mainly related to the HP hardware. Maybe you should ask in a forum for HP microservers?

There are a lot of tweaks for this devices out there. There is a VERY long thread in the german hardwareluxx.de forum, but it is in German language: HP ProLiant MicroServer G1610T/G2020T/E3-1220L v2 Sammelthread

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!