Plex install trouble

• Hey, I'm new to OMV on my RPI and I'm trying to install Plex Media Server.

I get an error when I try to save the settings after enabling PMS in the settings page:

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; omv-mkconf plexmediaserver 2>&1' with exit code '1': Changing to proper owner. This could take a few minutes. chown: changing ownership of '/srv/dev-disk-by-label-EFI/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Crash Reports/1.5.6.3790-4613ce077/PLEX MEDIA SERVER': Operation not permitted chown: changing ownership of '/srv/dev-disk-by-label-EFI/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Crash Reports/1.5.6.3790-4613ce077/PLEX DLNA SERVER': Operation not permitted chown: changing ownership of '/srv/dev-disk-by-label-EFI/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Crash Reports/1.5.6.3790-4613ce077': Operation not permitted chown: changing ownership of '/srv/dev-disk-by-label-EFI/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Crash Reports': Operation not permitted chown: changing ownership of '/srv/dev-disk-by-label-EFI/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-in Support/Databases/com.plexapp.plugins.library.db': Operation not permitted chown: changing ownership of '/srv/dev-disk-by-label-EFI/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-in

There's more but I couldn't scroll down to copy it. This happens no matter which drive I try to write the database volume to.

I see that some of the solutions posted here involve using the command line to uninstall/reinstall, but I also get an error when I try to ssh into omv ("permission denied, please try again"). ssh access is enabled in the omv settings.

Help! Thanks!

• Update -

I've been able to ssh into OMV and followed a number of suggestions here about uninstalling/reinstalling via the command line, as well as updating the entire OMV installation.

Oddly, Plex is actually running after I select "Enable" on the Plex page, and right up until I actually leave that page, where I have to save the changes.

I followed the instructions here Plex plugin installation fails

and I still get the same error.

Do I need to save the PMS library to the sd card? How do I do that?

Thank you!

• When you choose "Enable," is it forcing you to select a new location for the plex library? Try rebooting your machine and not enabling the plugin at all. The dashboard may show you that Plex is running anyway, and you can access the web GUI.

• I tried rebooting and when it reloads, PMS is running but OMV still gives me that message that says I have to save changes. It seems to me that if I don't do that, I won't be able to add/remove drives or do anything inside OMV without getting that error the next time I have to change anything.

Also, I tried inserting a thumb drive just to save the library there instead of the drive where the music files are located. It still gives me the same error, about how it wasn't successful in changing ownership.

• OMV still gives me that message that says I have to save changes.

What are you trying to do when you see this message? Do you get the error immediately upon logging in to the GUI?

This is probably obvious, but the library or database it refers to is just a directory with all the metadata, etc. You can generally leave this option alone and it'll store on the OMV system drive. What I was suggesting is don't touch any of the options on the Plex Media Server configuration. Literally just install the plugin and don't touch anything else, not even the enable button. Just go to the setup page in your browser and do everything else from there.

• I just rebooted again to be sure what was going on. When I reboot, PMS isn't running.

I realized early on what was meant by "library" and I actually had it up and running on a prior installation of OMV, where I could swear the library resided on the sd card. As it is now, I can't enable PMS without selecting a drive on that page (a red border appears with a hovering message that says 'this field is required'). Do I need to somehow enable the sd card to be written to? I also thought maybe the 'ownership' messages meant that I needed proper permissions to write to whatever drive I want to put the library on.

I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling. Any other ideas?

• I just rebooted again to be sure what was going on. When I reboot, PMS isn't running.

I realized early on what was meant by "library" and I actually had it up and running on a prior installation of OMV, where I could swear the library resided on the sd card. As it is now, I can't enable PMS without selecting a drive on that page (a red border appears with a hovering message that says 'this field is required'). Do I need to somehow enable the sd card to be written to? I also thought maybe the 'ownership' messages meant that I needed proper permissions to write to whatever drive I want to put the library on.

I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling. Any other ideas?

Got it, so you issue is a bit different than mine. I could still use Plex without enabling it. @tekkb said he'd try to take a look at the plugin when he could in this thread, but maybe yours is a different issue altogether.

Personally, I gave up on OMV plugins and have nearly everything running in Docker, but not sure how/if that works on RPi.

• Thanks for this. I saw your reply here which for some reason is no longer showing up. Maybe I should post to that thread (Plexmediaserver 3.8.1 on OMV 3.0.85 - service will not run)?

I uninstalled, reinstalled and just clicked "Enable" without saving. It's working, and the Plex server is up and running and downloading info for the attached library. I just think if I have to power off the system (I live in the mountains and we have frequent power outages) I'm going to lose this info, yes?

• Thanks for this. I saw your reply here which for some reason is no longer showing up. Maybe I should post to that thread (Plexmediaserver 3.8.1 on OMV 3.0.85 - service will not run)?

I uninstalled, reinstalled and just clicked "Enable" without saving. It's working, and the Plex server is up and running and downloading info for the attached library. I just think if I have to power off the system (I live in the mountains and we have frequent power outages) I'm going to lose this info, yes?

Looks like my reply was flagged for spam so it's awaiting moderation. But since I tagged tekkb maybe he will come weigh in. The end result is that the plugin needs to be fixed so that it can remain enabled and you can apply the changes without touched that database option.

I may be wrong, but I don't think you'll lose the data if you lose power. It's likely saving your database to the /var/whatever default directory and I think it will remain there even after a power failure. You can maybe add one media file and power off your system to check.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Personally, I gave up on OMV plugins

sad...

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• sad...

Well, that's not entirely true. I actually rely on some of them very much , like the flash memory plugin, SnapRAID, MergerFS, and obviously Docker. I just use Docker containers for all my media serving/downloading apps (plex, radarr, sonarr, nzbget, rtorrent, etc). Partly because I am nervous that I'll mess up my OMV installation.

Don't take it personally!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Don't take it personally!

I don't. Just many hours put into those plugins when we should have just used docker. Docker means nothing to maintain as well. In order to get rid of the plugins, we need some good HowTos/Videos/etc for setting up each plugin replacement in docker. Volunteers?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• In order to get rid of the plugins, we need some good HowTos/Videos/etc for setting up each plugin replacement in docker. Volunteers?

Well, if you want some posts on setting them up from the perspective of an absolute Linux beginner, I can help you with that. I'm actually wading into the Docker waters very carefully, only using Linuxserver.io containers for the time being as the documentation is much more complete than others I've found.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, if you want some posts on setting them up from the perspective of an absolute Linux beginner, I can help you with that.

I think those are the best kind :) Then any user should be able to set up the service.

• Well, if you want some posts on setting them up from the perspective of an absolute Linux beginner, I can help you with that. I'm actually wading into the Docker waters very carefully, only using Linuxserver.io containers for the time being as the documentation is much more complete than others I've found.

I would love to read that. I have no idea what I'm doing and every time I try to figure out Linux it looks like a giant mess and I end up deciding it's not worth the effort.

So you have Docker set up somehow to run Plex off of it? Is there some documentation about how to get that working? I'm going back and forth between OMV and using an old PC to run Nas4Free, which has its own headaches, like it won't let me use a 3TB FAT disk. If I have to reformat everything to UFS/ZFS, then the attached drives don't do me any good when I have to take them out of the house.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!