Cannot delete

• Hello,

over windows with explorer I can not delete a certain folder / files.
    I tryed to access with eXtplorer. Under the filetree under media I see my established folders and files.
    All my foler / files have the owner "myusername". Except one folder and its containings.
    This folder name and containings have the owner "pi" and I can't delete this.

I made a user "pi" for eXtplorer but I can't delete.
    (eXtplorer says "files / folders deleted" but they are not.)

What can I do?

Thanx for every hint.

• Are you under OMV2? The extplorer plugin was not ported to OMV3.

Under OMV2 I did some tests with extplorer. But I had exactly the same problem as you, I could not delete any file. I read a lot of documentation, created also a user, but at the end I gave up. It didn´t work.

There are several other tools (MC on the command line, WinSCP from Windows) you can use for that. I am using WinSCP. You can also try to install webmin. Webmin is a web-based suite for system administration, quite powerfull - but you must know, what you are doing. There is no Webmin-plugin for OMV. Therefore it must be installed manually.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

Under OMV2 I did some tests with extplorer. But I had exactly the same problem as you, I could not delete any file. I read a lot of documentation, created also a user, but at the end I gave up. It didn´t work.

The plugin creates a user called extplorer. This user is a member of the users group. The extplorer code is run as the extplorer user. So, unless the files are owned by the extplorer user or the users group has write privileges to the file/directory, you won't be able to delete/change the file. This was done so people couldn't delete important system files. I realize this is not ideal in most situations which makes the plugin fairly useless in my opinion which is why I didn't port it to OMV 3.x.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I realize this is not ideal in most situations which makes the plugin fairly useless in my opinion which is why I didn't port it to OMV 3.x.

Thank you @ryecoaaron for your explanation. Originally I was looking for a tool integrated in OMV in order to do some file management. I had a lot of data on NTFS-formatted USB 2.0 drives which I wanted to copy to my ZFS pool. Because of the USB2 drives it took a lot of time, therefore the idea was to start it once and then let it run in the background.

At the end I did it with MC running in a disconnected screen session. So I could switch off my PC.

I am not sure if this were possible with extplorer at all, beyond of the privileges issues.

For me this would be a great enhancement if such a possibility would be available in OMV: A integrated 'user friendly' tool for file management where it is possible to start a long running (copy) job and let it continue, also when logging off from the WebUI. Assuming that this is technically possible in the current implementation of OMV generally.

I am getting by with MC and screen, this solution is sufficient enough for me. But I am quite sure that a lot of people, including me, would welcome such a alternative.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

For me this would be a great enhancement if such a possibility would be available in OMV: A integrated 'user friendly' tool for file management where it is possible to start a long running (copy) job and let it continue, also when logging off from the WebUI. Assuming that this is technically possible in the current implementation of OMV generally.

I normally use the command line or WinSCP but if I wanted to use the web interface, I would use rsync which allows you to close the web interface. That probably isn't user friendly in most peoples opinions. Any file browser written using the OMV framework (not extplorer which is just a php app) should be able to finish a copy job with the browser closed since it would just be calling OMV engine to do the work. Unfortunately, a OMV-based file manager would take an incredible amount of work which is probably why no one has written one.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• From my side: Thank you for your efforts.

I took another Linux computer (RPI) to access the files and delete them.
    I could not change the user rights, but I could delete them anyway.
    But I'm not very familiar with Linux and its user rights.

Many Thanks
    WolleP

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!