Beginners questions

• Offizieller Beitrag

it appears that "Enable user home directories" in the SMB/CIFS section DOES NOT refer to the directories configured as user home directories in the Access Rights Management section.

YES it does. Once you enable user home directories in the access rights section, it sets the home directory in /etc/password. This is the same place that samba uses to direct the home share to.

I say this because I configured the "home directories" in the Access Rights Management section to put these directories on the "Users" share, but using SMB to access the NAS shows this location AND a /home location, which appears to be /home on the system drive.

Don't confuse samba home share name and omv home shared folder name. They have nothing to do with each other by name. The both point to the user's folder in /etc/passwd.

From this I infer that enabling user home directories in the SMB/CIFS section means users accessing the NAS via SMB will have access to /home on the system drive, and that this is entirely independent of whether or not user home directories are enabled in the Access Rights Management section.

NO NO NO

Can someone confirm this?

Yes, I have confirmed this in my previous posts. I don't know why you don't believe me. The ONLY time /home on OS drive would ever be used is if you manually create a user. If you enable home directories in OMV and samba and then create the users, you won't have any problems. Do I really have to waste my time creating a video to prove this?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, I have confirmed this in my previous posts. I don't know why you don't believe me. The ONLY time /home on OS drive would ever be used is if you manually create a user. If you enable home directories in OMV and samba and then create the users, you won't have any problems. Do I really have to waste my time creating a video to prove this?

I believe!

(Oh, umm,, sorry for butting it... :whistling: )

• Please forgive me, I'm new to BOTH OMV & this forum editor. (I wanted to quote just a few lines but couldn't figure out how. I also haven't figured out yet how to insert comments after partial quotes. So comments are at the bottom.)

YES it does. Once you enable user home directories in the access rights section, it sets the home directory in /etc/password. This is the same place that samba uses to direct the home share to.

Don't confuse samba home share name and omv home shared folder name. They have nothing to do with each other by name. The both point to the user's folder in /etc/passwd.

NO NO NO

Thought Apple dropped Samba years ago. So I wasn't even thinking of Samba. I thought Apple developed its own version of SMB from scratch over the past 5 years.

I believe you, I just don't understand everything you mean. If I understand you correctly now, you're saying that the "/home" directory I see when I use SMB to connect to the OMV server is (almost?) identical to the "Users" share I also see. "Almost" because /home is a directory on the share, and the share contains "/home."

Let me test my understanding with two questions based on your last comment. Suppose I enable home directories in OMV and create user "Kernighan." Now Kernighan knows *nix pretty well, so he also connects to the server from a terminal window on his Mac and just logs in at the login raster. Where is $HOME in his shell? If I understand you correctly now, because OMV put his home directory into /etc/passwd, his /home directory as a pure *nix user ($HOME or ~) is located on the Users share that was created under OMV and initialized as the home directory through Access Rights Management.

Also, if he issues the command line command "pwd", how will the system respond? Guess #1: the system will respond with /home/Kernighan (this would be consistent with my interpretation that the system mapped /home to the Users share). Guess #2: the system will respond with a different path (not sure what) because /home still lives on the system drive, but the last directory in the path would be Kernighan.

P.S. While a video would be nice, please save your videographical talents for the really tough questions. :)

• (I wanted to quote just a few lines but couldn't figure out how. Quote edited. Add some more text. It should be possible to edit a quote.

After quoting place the cursor in the quoted text and it should be possible to change it.
    If you place the curson on a quote frame and press the left mouse button you get a menu to delete the quote or to change the quote (header) and URL.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

If I understand you correctly now, you're saying that the "/home" directory I see when I use SMB to connect to the OMV server is (almost?) identical to the "Users" share I also see. "Almost" because /home is a directory on the share, and the share contains "/home."

Let me try to explain it a different way.

I create a shared folder called userhome which will be located on the data disk at the mount point /srv/dev-disk-by-label-shared/userhome
    I enabled home directories in the Access Rights Management section and select the userhome shared folder to use for user home directories.
    I create a user called testuser and that user's home directory will be located at /srv/dev-disk-by-label-shared/userhome/testuser/
    I enable samba and check the "Enable user home directories" checkbox.
    When I go to \\servername\testuser (the user's home directory), it will be reading/writing files from /srv/dev-disk-by-label-shared/userhome/testuser/

Does that make sense? There is no /home on the os drive ever used.

f he issues the command line command "pwd", how will the system respond?

If you login as testuser from above, pwd will return /srv/dev-disk-by-label-shared/userhome/testuser/.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!