RaspberryPi 3 - kernel panic, unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (179,2)

• OMV 3.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• RaspberryPi 3 - kernel panic, unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (179,2)

Hello everyone,
      I have been using OMV for a while now, always on a Rpi3, and when I did a fresh install of the latest version 3, I get many problems on the first install, especially "time outs" when I open the web interface.

Then, if I disconnect the raspberry pi from power, and try to power it again, I always get this message:

"Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (179,2)", and the boot sequence stops at this moment and nothing else happens.
      I have googled this issue, and some possible solutions require to ssh the raspberry as root, but I can't seem to connect to it since it doesn't finish the boot sequence.

Has anyone come across this problem?
      Could it be a problem with my microSD card (it's a kingston 8Gb class 10 microSD)?

Looking forward to hear your thoughts.
    • icetapanho wrote:

Could it be a problem with my microSD card (it's a kingston 8Gb class 10 microSD)?
      It could be the card or your power supply (especially if you have a usb drive plugged in that is powered by the usb port).
      omv 4.1.8.2 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.9
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

Please read this before posting a question.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • ryecoaaron wrote:

icetapanho wrote:

It could be the card or your power supply (especially if you have a usb drive plugged in that is powered by the usb port).
      I am using a 0.7A, 5V microusb power supply from an old samsung galaxy S2.
      I will try a fresh install with a better power supply and give feedback.
      I have 4 usb external drives connected but each has its own power supply.
    • icetapanho wrote:

I am using a 0.7A, 5V microusb power supply from an old samsung galaxy S2
      This is too small. You should use a 2A power supply.
      omv 4.1.8.2 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.9
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

Please read this before posting a question.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!