40TB HW/SW Raid, ZFS/XFS

• OMV 3.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• 40TB HW/SW Raid, ZFS/XFS

Need to upgrade one of my HP54GL NAS machines. Right now im using OMV 2.x, SW Raid 5 with 2TB drives and XFS.

Now i will upgrade to OMV 3.x, 4x 10TB drives. Machine has 16GB of ram.

I have some LSI9260 raid controllers laying around. Not sure which combination i should use:

A. ZFS (is the implementation into OMV3 now good?) .. 16GB ram is a little bit small for a 40TB raid too

B. SW Raid 5 + XFS (which i use right now)

C: HW Raid 5 (LSI9260) + XFS

D: ???

Suggestions very welcome :)

Thanks - Tom
      Tom

----

HP N54L, 6GB, 5disc Raid5, SSD Boot with OMV Stone Burner
      HP N54L, 16GB, 4disc Raid5, SSD Boot with OMV Stone Burner

The post was edited 1 time, last by tom_tav ().

• tom_tav wrote:

A. ZFS (is the implementation into OMV3 now good?) ..
      From my point of view: Yes

tom_tav wrote:

.. 16GB ram is a little bit small for a 40TB raid too
      Which ZFS raid level do you intend to create to get a 40TB raid out of 4 x 10TB drives? :D
      OMV 3.0.78 (Gray style)
      ASRock Rack C2550D4I - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1)- Fractal Design Node 304

The post was edited 1 time, last by cabrio_leo ().

• tom_tav wrote:

All the small problems with zfs and omv 2.x did turn me away from using zfs back then
      Yes, you are right, there are some small issues with the ZFS plugin, in OMV3 also. But if one is familiar with the basic ZFS CLI commands that should be no big problem.
      OMV 3.0.78 (Gray style)
      ASRock Rack C2550D4I - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1)- Fractal Design Node 304
    • cabrio_leo wrote:

tom_tav wrote:

.. 16GB ram is a little bit small for a 40TB raid too
      Which ZFS raid level do you intend to create to get a 40TB raid out of 4 x 10TB drives? :D

Nah ;) Brutto. But with standard ZFS calc 16GB is not enough for 27TB ZFS Level1, no?

Btw. there is a nice calculator to get netto figures:

wintelguy.com/zfs-calc.pl
      Tom

----

• cabrio_leo wrote:

tom_tav wrote:

All the small problems with zfs and omv 2.x did turn me away from using zfs back then
      Yes, you are right, there are some small issues with the ZFS plugin, in OMV3 also. But if one is familiar with the basic ZFS CLI commands that should be no big problem.
      CLI is no problem. I just try to avoid setups where you always have to fight with the gui and manually added changes.

Like my netatalk 3x upgrade for omv 2. I ended up deinstalling netatalk from omv completely and added the new one. If its too much of a hazzle it makes more sense to skip GUI then and just do it with linux. But thats only if its a pure NAS.
      Dont misunderstand me, i love omv. Its just open for me to decide if i move the new array to a bare linux/nas setup or if i upgrade one of my omv machines.
      Tom

----