Could write to shared drive, now I can't?

• Offizieller Beitrag

There's one last issue regarding permissions:
    If you have "nested" folders, all folders in the path the shared folder must have the same permissions.

For example:

/music
    If Everyone has Read and Write - it's wide open.

/serverfolders/music
    In this example, there are two different folders. If serverfolders has a more restrictive permission, it will stop access to the sub-dir music.
    (If you followed the on-line build example, closely, this shouldn't apply.)

Your observations from your searches are right. A lot of people are doing this, to include yourself, at first. "That", the change, is why I turned a skeptical eye toward Win10. M$ is infamous for pushing out security changes and leaving the masses to deal with unintended consequences.

There are other possibilities such as the firewall software you're using. (You could try turning it off - just don't surf the Net with your firewall off.)

Also, your router may be interfering. If you turn your router off for a test, you'll lose DNS (name service). You can still access your R-PI on the local LAN direct using the Raspberry PI's IP address, typed in the windows file explorer address bar.
    ((Substitute the IP address for your R-PI in, using the following format. -> \\192.168.1.35\sharename Or you could try just the IP address \\192.168.1.35, and see if your share shows up.))

What it boils down to is, if you had it working at some point, odds are that something changed along the way. This tends to be things like automated software updates (Windows, the firewall, the router and even OMV, if you updated it AFTER you had access to your share.)

If you plan on sticking with this, you're going to need a way to look at the file structure on your R-PI and, eventually, for editing config files without using the command line. I'd recommend installing WinSCP on one of your Windows machines. From Windows, WinSCP will allow you to access OMV as root, in a Windows explorer style graphical environment. I think you'll find it useful for exploring OMV (and for looking directly at permissions assigned to files and folders).

On the first use of WinSCP - on the login page:
    Hostname: The IP address of your R-PI
    User name: root
    Password: openmediavault
    (The password above is the default, and assumes that you didn't change anything during your R-PI setup. Note that the WebGUI only changes the password for the Web admin account.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I finally had time to try the window settings, and that did not fix the problem. I also tried a laptop using Windows 7 Ultimate, with similar results. I too will be out of town much of this week, and will be offline all of the following week.

I really think I am missing something simple here. I see a *few* similar posts, but not many. Too many people do this successfully, presumably some using Windows 10, for it to be a significant issue with OMV.

BTW: I'd reactivate SMB 2/3 with the following:

sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi
    sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= auto

SMB 2 and 3 are noteable improvements over SMB 1, (if you can get them to work that is).

• Okay, on the second build I have 2 USB sticks. The original one (TestMusic) still cannot write to, the newer (OldMusic) one I can. If you look at the attachement called OMV Screen Shot, you can see that one shows as a USB stick, one not. On the second attachment called W10 Explorer Share, you can see that TestMusic has Read & Write access; The other one (OldMusic) has Full Control all the way through. I tried changing TestMusic, but got Access Denied. My original build looks like the TestMusic on the new build. Does that suggest anything?

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. Okay, on the second build I have 2 USB sticks. The original one (TestMusic) still cannot write to, the newer (OldMusic) one I can. If you look at the attachement called OMV Screen Shot, you can see that one shows as a USB stick, one not.

2. On the second attachment called W10 Explorer Share, you can see that TestMusic has Read & Write access; The other one (OldMusic) has Full Control all the way through. I tried changing TestMusic, but got Access Denied. My original build looks like the TestMusic on the new build. Does that suggest anything?

1. This behavior is attributed to when the file system / partition was created. If you give the disk a label such as "USB STICK", the label is shown. If not, the linux device name is displayed. (I.E. /dev/sdb1 or the second drive "b", first partition "1")

2. From the W10 screen shot, what I see as "write access" is only for "root" (or full control). If "Everyone" has full control, as you say it is with (OldMusic), then litterally Everyone could wirte to the share.

You're not going to be able to alter OMV's Unix style permissions on the Windows end of it.
    (At least using methods that are relative here.)

If you want to be able write to OMV shares from a Windows client:
    Apply the following series of screen shots to W10 sharing, and then to the OMV share share you're trying to fix.

W10 should something similar to the following but in addition, W10 has a setting for "Password-Protected Sharing". Turn that off. Otherwise, set W10 to emulate the following settings, if available.

In the OMV GUI:

Under Shared Folders, click on (your equivalent of) Music, then on the ACL button.

The following dialog box will pop up.

Make all of the changes highlighted in yellow , Group Read/Write/Execute, Others Read/Write/Execute, in Replace the radio button should be green and Recursive should be green. Finally, click on Apply.

This should open the share up and apply new permissions to anything that's already there.

Depending on the number of files present, it may take an R-PI a few seconds to process this. When it's done, click on Close. Then go back in using the ACL button and check to be sure Others still has Read/Write/Execute.

Then, try to connect to it and see if you have write access.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yeah, I'm jumping through hoops on this end too. I'm out for days at a time and back for a few.

We're going to have to install the "reset perms" plugin but getting it done will be something of a process with screenshots, etc. Check back, we'll get it done.

• Offizieller Beitrag

To install the reset perms plugin, it will be necessary to install and enable "omvextras". This is a bit of an odd process, but you'll only have to do it once (per installation).

(Assuming you're using OMV 3.X)
    First download the file from this link -> openmediavault-omvextrasorg_latest_all3.deb and put it on your windows client where you can browse to it. (The Desktop?)

Open OMV's WEB GUI:

Click on Plugins and Upload

When the following dialog box click on Browse, find the file you downloaded to your desktop, click on the file, then on OK.

When this process completes (and the page reloads) , click on Plugins. Find and install omvextrasorg .

At this point, on the left hand side under System, you'll see OMV-Extras. Click on it and Enable the two Repos shown below.

Now, under Plugins, you'll find a good number of plugins that weren't there before. Find and install resetperms.

At this point, as a result of installing the resetperms plugin, you'll have a new tab under Shared Folders. Go to Shared folders, click on the Reset Permissions Tab, and select the Shared Folder you want to change. Apply the settings shown below.

While this is more of a Windows thing, reboot both machines. After they've been up for a few minutes, see if you can write the share.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I take it that you have both repositories active. (OMV-Extras.org Stable and Testing.)

I'm also taking it that you had the plugin pick (for reset perms) from the list of available plugin's and, in the process of installing it, you got the error message. Noting that sometimes files sources are not available, I'm guessing you tried to install it more than once and on more than one day.

If this is repeatable, highlight the full text of the dialog box and post it.

Have you ever SSH'ed into OMV and logged in on the command line, using Putty? Putty

I'd like you to run:
    apt-get clean
    (then)
    apt-get update
    from the command line and try to install the plugin again.

Alternately, you could install the "shellinabox" plugin, found at the top of the plugin page.
    ((Either of the two, shellinabox or Putty requires that SSH is active. SSH can be found and enabled under Services, SSH.))

Shellinabox provides a command line console into the OMV server. After it's installed, you'll find "Shellinabox" under Services.

It must be enabled.
    Use the Web Client.
    Log in as root (if you didn't change it, the default password on an R-PI is openmediavault)
    run the command lines as follows

apt-get clean
    (and)
    apt-get update

Try to install ResetPerms from the Web GUI again.

As a last resort:
    Have you tried the OMV 2.5 build? -> Here
    It couldn't hurt anything.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok, on the forum, I got instructions for installing Resetperms from the command line. (Thanks to Wolf2000)

So, after logging in as root (using either shellinabox or Putty) execute each of the following commands lines, one by one.
    (Copy and paste them for accuracy.)

Code
    apt-get clean

apt-get update

wget https://dl.bintray.com/openmediavault-plugin-developers/erasmus/pool/main/o/openmediavault-resetperms/openmediavault-resetperms_3.3_all.deb

dpkg -i openmediavault-resetperms_3.3_all.deb

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!