Plexmediaserver will not start after update

• Hey guys,

I tried to update manually follow the steps from the openmediavault plex plugin page and I'm not able to get plex to start up again after installing the update.

I am really new to linux, so any insights would be appreciated.

OMV Server - 2.2.14

Celeron G1840 2.8GHz Dual-Core Processor
    MSI - H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
    Corsair - 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
    Kingston - SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Western Digital - Red 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
    EVGA - 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

• Not enough information about your OMV provided.

What version of OMV are you running?

What hardware are you running OMV on?

Is there some reason you are updating Plex manually instead of allowing OMV to update it for you?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• omv 2.2.14

here's my system from pcpartpicker:

PCPartPicker part list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/66F42R
    Price breakdown by merchant: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/66F42R/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Celeron G1840 2.8GHz Dual-Core Processor
    Motherboard: MSI - H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
    Memory: Corsair - 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
    Storage: Kingston - SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Storage: Western Digital - Red 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Power Supply: EVGA - 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

for some reason it wouldn't let me update with omv, the plex client told me to update manually.

Is there a particular way to update it in the omv client? I didn't see anything that allowed me to update it there.

OMV Server - 2.2.14

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von jessetherrien ()

• The mistake you are making is that you are manually installing the plex package for OMV 3.x on your OMV 2.x, and this will not work. (I think those instructions you followed should be removed from OMV.)

You need to manually remove that package by running in the shell:

sudo dpkg -r plexmediaserver

Then you need to reinstall the proper package by running in the shell:

sudo apt-get install plexmediaserver

This will install plexmediaserver_1.8.0.4109-42bd8c63f-wheezy_amd64.deb which is the most recent version of plex for OMV 2.x.

The latest version of plex is plexmediaserver_1.8.1.4139 but the package that is available is not appropriate for use on OMV 2.x

When the individual who creates the updated OMV 2.x package (wheezy appears in the package name) he will make it available and it OMV will handle the update for you automatically.

Some general advice for you if you don't mind:

Don't manually install packages unless you are certain that they are appropriate for your version of OMV and your hardware architecture. You installed a package that is broken, but at least it didn't mangle your entire OMV install.

Be patient. The individual (@yakumo) who builds the plex packages for OMV 2.x no longer runs OMV 2.x himself, so he isn't as quick making updated packages as he was in the past.

If you absolutely must have a 1.8.1.4139 version of plex for OMV 2.x in a hurry and don't want to wait for @yakumo to build it for us, then follow the instructions he posted somewhere on the plex.tv forum to build the package yourself. I believe these instructions are also posted somewhere on this forum but I do not know where and the search tool here might not be able to easily find them.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• The mistake you are making is that you are manually installing the plex package for OMV 3.x on your OMV 2.x, and this will not work. (I think those instructions you followed should be removed from OMV.)

You need to manually remove that package by running in the shell:

sudo dpkg -r plexmediaserver

when I type that, this is the error I get:

Code
    root@Astrid:~# sudo dpkg -r plexmediaserver
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of plexmediaserver:
     openmediavault-plexmediaserver depends on plexmediaserver.

dpkg: error processing plexmediaserver (--remove):
     dependency problems - not removing
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     plexmediaserver

do you know what would cause this issue?

I'll heed your advice for next time and wait for omv to update, I thought i may have botched the update and it needed me to install it myself.

OMV Server - 2.2.14

• OK, try this instead:

sudo apt-get remove plexmediaserver

If that fails then remove the openmediavault-plexmediaserver plugin in the GUI and then try to remove the plexmediaserver package again:

sudo dpkg -r plexmediaseerver

If that works, then reinstall the openmediavault-plexmediaserver plugin. This should bring in the proper version of plexmediaserver for your OMV 2.x

--

• I just uninstalled from the web client from the omv-extras folder and then unintstalled it from the plug ins folder, rebooted the server and then reinstalled everything from there.

This seems to have fixed the issue.

Thanks for your help gderf

OMV Server - 2.2.14

• Yer welcome and enjoy Plex!

I'll take a bit of time and build the 1.8.1 package for OMV 2.x and post a link for it for those who might want it now :)

--

• Below is the link to my repackage of the Ubuntu version of Plex Media Server v1.8.1.4139-c789b3fbb for use on Debian wheezy and our beloved OMV 2.x

Notes:

I have not tested this package on OMV 2.x, but I have done this repackaging quite a few times in the past when I was running OMV 2.x so I don't expect any problems concerning the packaging itself. This does not mean that the source package is problem free, but I can't do anything about that. If legitimate problems with Plex Media Server v1.8.1.4139-c789b3fbb are being reported on the Plex.tv forum, then I can guarantee that those problems will be carried into my package.

Use at your own risk and don't fool with this if you don't know what you are doing.

I strongly recommend you having a copy of your currently running package just in case you need to downgrade to it and it is no longer available in the repo. <--Read this again, and again. You've been warned. If you have not been doing this anyway all along you have been continuously making a mistake regardless of how you have been updating Plex or where those updates have been coming from.

The package name inside the zip file has my initials in it (fgg) so as to distinguish it from the work of @yakumo who has been the provider of these OMV 2.x Plex Media server packages in the past. Once installed there is no reference to my initials in the system package database. (Attribution to me is lost once installed, and I admit that I should probably fix this).

For the OMV 2.x repo maintainers: I do not recommend adding this package to the OMV 2.x repo unless and until you have either tested it yourself or have only positive feedback from OMV 2.x users.

Good luck and enjoy!

http://www.dslreports.com/getfile/PLG/7e3cd6.zip

--

• thank you
    Your plexmediaserver_1.8.1.4139-c789b3fbb-wheezy_amd64.fgg.deb has successfully installed and is working for me on my current OMV 2.2.14.

Much appreciated!
    (I really need to get around to upgrading to v3!)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!