How to upgrade OpenMediavault from 2x to 3.x?

• OMV 2.x
    • Upgrade 2.x -> 3.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• better is to do a new fresh install on a new boot media and configure services by hand, you spent some time, but none if compare to time spent to solve problems on upgrade.

PD: There are dozens of post of other users that do the same upgrade, please read it first to understand the problem.

eg: Upgrade 2.x - 3.x failed, config.xml broken?
      OMV 3.0.88 x64 on a HP T510, 8GB CF as Boot Disk & 32GB SSD 2,5" disk for Data, 4 GB RAM, CPU VIA EDEN X2 U4200 is x64 at 1GHz

Post: HPT510 SlimNAS ; HOWTO Install Pi-Hole ; HOWTO install MLDonkey ; HOHTO Install ZFS-Plugin ; OMV_OldGUI ; ShellinaBOX ;

The post was edited 1 time, last by raulfg3 ().

• Different strokes for different folks.

I had a very large time investment in building up my OMV 2.x machine over well more than a year since I started with it. It isn't just an OMV box, it does lots of other things for me and getting all that set up took a lot of time.

For me, installing OMV 3.x from scratch and rebuilding all the rest from scratch was not an option. If I could not upgrade OMV 2.x to 3.x I would have to stay on 2.x indefinitely. So far, there are no must have features in 3.x that would force me into it no matter how I got there.

In my upgrade attempts, and there were several needed, I cloned the 16GB SSD OMV 2.x system disk to another identical 16GB SSD. I then booted the clone and attempted the upgrade. After several attempts at this, trying different things, I was finally able to get a working upgrade.

What made the upgrade possible for me in the end was to uninstall all OMV plugins from the shell. Not just v 2.x plugins known not to upgrade to 3.x - all of them had to be removed. And removed from the shell, not the GUI, and removed but not purged.

Once I was booted into the upgraded to OMV, all I had to do was add the very few plugins back in and that was a fast and easy process.

Kinda pointless to say it in this case but: YMMV
      OMV 3.x - ASRock Rack C2550D4I - 16GB ECC - Silverstone DS380
    • Users Online 3

3 Guests