How to upgrade OpenMediavault from 2x to 3.x?

• Hello,
    I´m in process of upgrade my current version of stone burner to OMV version 3.x

Is there any how-to guide to go throw this process?

What backups should i made?
    If there is a need to restore how can i do that?

Thanks

• You would be wise to make a disk image clone of your OMV 2.x disk and store that file somewhere safe.

If your upgrade fails, you can restore from the clone image and try again.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• better is to do a new fresh install on a new boot media and configure services by hand, you spent some time, but none if compare to time spent to solve problems on upgrade.

PD: There are dozens of post of other users that do the same upgrade, please read it first to understand the problem.

eg: Upgrade 2.x - 3.x failed, config.xml broken?

• Different strokes for different folks.

I had a very large time investment in building up my OMV 2.x machine over well more than a year since I started with it. It isn't just an OMV box, it does lots of other things for me and getting all that set up took a lot of time.

For me, installing OMV 3.x from scratch and rebuilding all the rest from scratch was not an option. If I could not upgrade OMV 2.x to 3.x I would have to stay on 2.x indefinitely. So far, there are no must have features in 3.x that would force me into it no matter how I got there.

In my upgrade attempts, and there were several needed, I cloned the 16GB SSD OMV 2.x system disk to another identical 16GB SSD. I then booted the clone and attempted the upgrade. After several attempts at this, trying different things, I was finally able to get a working upgrade.

What made the upgrade possible for me in the end was to uninstall all OMV plugins from the shell. Not just v 2.x plugins known not to upgrade to 3.x - all of them had to be removed. And removed from the shell, not the GUI, and removed but not purged.

Once I was booted into the upgraded to OMV, all I had to do was add the very few plugins back in and that was a fast and easy process.

Kinda pointless to say it in this case but: YMMV

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!