Help understand chdir error on RSync from OSX

• OMV 3.x
    • Resolved

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Help understand chdir error on RSync from OSX

Hi,
      totally new to OMV, so struggling every passage.
      What I'd like to do is to rsync push from my macbook air to Rpi running OMV3
      I create a user in OMV with the same name and PW in OMV3
      I gave the user writing permission on the existing and shared "folder foto/Picutres"
      but when I do:

rsync -va --ignore-existing /Users/lucamoiana/Downloads/from/ lucamoiana@192.168.1.7:/foto/Pictures

after entering the pw I get this error:

Source Code

1. Could not chdir to home directory /home/lucamoiana: No such file or directory
      2. building file list ... done
      3. rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (8 bytes received so far) [sender]
      4. rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/rsync/rsync-51/rsync/io.c(453) [sender=2.6.9]
      I don't get the error and, most of all, I don't get why it is looking for "/home/lucamoiana"
      when I specified the folder "/foto/Pictures"

Thanks for your help
    • I think you're not setting properly the remote server and client. From what I understand you're trying to connect to a rsync module.

The selected shared folder in rsync server should be Pictures( maybe I am wrong and rsync can descent into path)

The rsync line from OS X should be

rsync -va --ignore-existing /Users/lucamoiana/Downloads/from/ lucamoiana@192.168.1.7::Pictures

Also make sure that the password is setup at the rsync module section in the users tab.
      New wiki
      chat support at #openmediavault@freenode IRC | Spanish & English | GMT+10
      telegram.me/openmediavault broadcast channel
      openmediavault discord server
    • Hi, although it seems to work, at the momenti I'm testing with a file with no folder structure, I still get the error below:

Source Code

1. Lucas-Air:~ lucamoiana$ rsync -va --ignore-existing /Users/lucamoiana/Downloads/from/ lucamoiana@192.168.1.7::foto/
      2. building file list ... done
      3. rsync: failed to set times on "." (in foto): Operation not permitted (1)
      4. ./
      5. fattura-1726176882 copy.pdf
      6. sent 348014 bytes received 44 bytes 696116.00 bytes/sec
      7. total size is 353937 speedup is 1.02
      8. rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/rsync/rsync-51/rsync/main.c(996) [sender=2.6.9]

The post was edited 1 time, last by lucamoiana ().