OMV 3 for ODROID-XU4/HC1/HC2/MC1

• "/var/lib/smartmontools/drivedb/drivedb.h(86): Syntax error in preset option string"

Is it possible that you're using an older image and not one of the more recent ones (kernel 4.9.57)?

Anyway, please activate/use SSH access, try the following and report back:

Code
    apt-get --reinstall -y install smartmontools
  • Hello,

after playing around with my old omv xu4 installation, I crash my system.
    I thing it's a good idee to start with your new Image.
    I have a Backup of my old System, can I can use it settings?

Another question, why not use the standard OS for the XU4 and OMV?

I read about OMV4, is there a XU4 Image for Download?

Regards

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ThomasDr () aus folgendem Grund: I see OMV4.

• I have a Backup of my old System, can I can use it settings?

AFAIK no. All the daemons/packages OMV controls have their own settings (OMV overrides to provide the great user experience) and while you could try to sync /etc contents and then start to understand what's (not) happening the more easy way is to start from scratch (it seems you have not even a primitive backup so that's the first thing I would start then with)

why not use the standard OS for the XU4 and OMV?

You can use any 'standard OS' as long as it's Debian Jessie (OMV 3) or Stretch (OMV 4).

The official OMV ARM images are also just that: OMV installed unattended (with a ton of performance relevant tweaks!) on top of an Armbian Jessie variant (this combination is important since the Armbian performance tweaks and those additional for OMV fit).

You can get the same with every other Jessie OS image for your XU4 but be prepared that NAS performance might be an awful lot lower (since settings matter -- and that's what went into the official ARM OMV images in a process of more than half a year now)

OMV 4 is not ready yet but of course you can upgrade all official OMV 3 images to version 4 (including the underlying Debian install!). At your own risk though I did this maybe 30 times within the last weeks and found only minor glitches not worth to be reported.

• Hello,

I have installed OMV_3_0_88_Odroidxu4_4.9.57.img.xz and reconstructed the system by dubbing the config.xml and etc/samba.
    It took a few more rework, but it worked.
    Next step was upgrade to OMV4. "omv-release-upgrade" command which worked so far, only initramfs-tools installation had an error with error code busybox is need for initramfs-tools. After install busybox initramfs-tools run too, and any thing looks fine.

regards
    Thomas

• I'm using one of the older first final Odroid images of OMV3 and on my XU4 I'm not getting very good NAS performance. With Samba it's just around 4-7 megabyte over Gigabit LAN. I've tried the suggestions from Obihörnchens blog, but nothing really helped.
    Your image sounds very promising and after fiddling around a lot with my current installation, I'm ready to start over with yours and the 4.9 kernel.

I just have one question before I get started. Does the kernel used on your image come with ecryptfs module support? Some of my content is secured with ecryptfs and I would need support for the kernel module.

If it's currently not included, would you be able to include it in one of your next builds?

Thanks!

All the best,
    Sebastian

• If it's currently not included, would you be able to include it in one of your next builds?

Currently not since https://github.com/armbian/bui…roidxu4-next.config#L5259

To get this added in a reliable way you should send a PR with changed and tested config against Armbian's repo...

Edit: Since not a pull request with the needed change came but a new thread in Armbian forum I added the module myself.

• Hello,

I use luks on the last image from tkaiser with out problem.

regards

Gesendet von meinem BV6000 mit Tapatalk

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ThomasDr () aus folgendem Grund: spelling corrected.

• Edit: Since not a pull request with the needed change came but a new thread in Armbian forum I added the module myself.

Thank you very much! I had posted on the Armbian forum already, but so far I haven't received a reply. I guess people saw that it was already taken care of.

I use lurks on the last image from tkaiser with out problem.

Thanks, I may have to look at that when I have more time on my hands. For now I'm set with ecryptfs.

• @ryecoaaron: Sorry to bother you again with an image update: OMV_3_0_92_Odroidxu4_4.9.61.img.xz (MD5 hash: e349f2fa1acebdeede8210b0ff7e9959)

Please replace this on Sourceforge since Hardkernel will pretty soon sell a new eMMC type (that is finally useable on all their various ODROIDs -- no more color coding hassles any more!) and as they write: "Please consider releasing new images since some users can’t update safely because of the instability just in case. In the first boot process(or any time before update), the Orange eMMC could be corrupted due to the wrong strobe-delay."

To avoid users running into this it's IMO justified to replace the image one more time :)

Thank you!

BTW: HC2 specs confirmed and everything 100% compatible to HC1 and XU4. Only real difference is hardware and there powering of course (since 3.5" HDD need 12V too) and the size of enclosure/heatsink for obvious reasons.

• With this latest OMV image also nand-sata-install to transfer the OMV installation over to a HDD or SSD is finally working. But you should keep in mind that this will prevent disk sleep with HDDs (please check also the JMS578 spindown firmware issue that is about to be resolved soon).

And you must keep in mind that you need to create partitions on a connected disk first otherwise OMV won't allow you to use this disk also for data later! So a good recommendation could be to use 2 partitions: 10GB for the OS and the rest for data as in the example below:

Code
    parted -s /dev/sda mklabel gpt
    SectorCount=$(parted -s /dev/sda unit s print | awk -F": " '/^Disk \/dev\/sda/ {print $2}' | tr -d 's')
    LastUsableSector=$(( ${SectorCount} / 2048 ))
    parted -s /dev/sda --align optimal unit s mkpart primary ext4 8192 20348927
    parted -s /dev/sda --align optimal unit s mkpart primary ext4 20348928 $(( ${LastUsableSector} * 2048 ))
    partprobe
    mkfs.btrfs /dev/sda2
    nand-sata-install

After the mandatory reboot your OS will be living in /dev/sda1, you can use OMV UI to mount /dev/sda2 and use as data share while on the SD card only the bootloader stuff and the /boot partition remains (and you might delete partitions mmcblk1p2 and mmcblk1p3 there or also use as data shares:

Code
    root@odroidxu4:~# lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,SIZE,MOUNTPOINT | grep -v zram
    NAME        FSTYPE   SIZE MOUNTPOINT
    mmcblk1             14.9G 
    ├─mmcblk1p3          7.7G 
    ├─mmcblk1p1 ext4      64M /boot
    └─mmcblk1p2 btrfs      7G 
    sda                465.8G 
    ├─sda2      btrfs  456.1G /srv/dev-disk-by-id-usb-JMicron_USB_to_SATA_bridge_DB00000000013B-0-0-part2
    └─sda1      btrfs    9.7G /
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry to bother you again with an image update: OMV_3_0_92_Odroidxu4_4.9.61.img.xz (MD5 hash: e349f2fa1acebdeede8210b0ff7e9959)

Updated.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I see odroid is moving to the 4.14 kernel on the xu4 line and dropping support for the 4.9 kernel - https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=97&t=28895

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I see odroid is moving to the 4.14 kernel on the xu4 line and dropping support for the 4.9 kernel

Not an issue from an OMV point of view since Armbian might move soon also the next kernel branch to 4.14 (after some tests, currently 4.14 is the dev branch and my tests showed worse performance but these tests were not sufficient to draw any performance related conclusions, just moving issues on a TODO list). When this happens an 'apt upgrade' will bring 4.14 to the devices. Hardkernel was excited about 4.14 showing better USB3 performance but based on my older tests I can't follow since the numbers someone posted with 4.14 I already got with 4.9 months ago.

We were in touch recently and Hardkernel said to test through some suggestions at the end of this week and then also update their own OMV related wiki contents :)

• Hello, sorry if i put this on this post but i dont know where is the right place for it , hope you can help me , the problem is:
    I just bought a Odroid XU4 and install openmediavault on my sd card and configure smb, ftp, docker and containers, dlna and a lot of things and all working very well, after thta i install all this on the emmc but when i try to configure printers, ftp, change privileges of the users i get erros:

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; omv-mkconf proftpd 2>&1' with exit code '1': /usr/share/openmediavault/mkconf/proftpd.d/mod_core: 34: /usr/share/openmediavault/mkconf/proftpd.d/mod_core: cannot create /srv/ftp/welcome.msg: Directory nonexistent run-parts: /usr/share/openmediavault/mkconf/proftpd.d/mod_core exited with return code 2

im on the omv 3.0.94 and my odroid is in the latest kernel .

im not it im just a regular person trying to put this on, if u can explain me the things to do by steps would be great , thankyou very much.

and now my services start getting with a red dot (thing that never happend before in 2 days with the sd card)

i have some screenshots

• as i said all was working perfect running on the sd card but running on emmc give me a lot of errors, i install this with etcher and nand-sata-install with btrfs and have no problems with the installation or somthing else but the problems start when i want to configure things, thanks
    hope someone help .
    meanwhile ill be using this with the sd card

• Hi tkaiser,
    First of all, thank you for all the hard work you do programming and supporting everyone! Respect!

I'd try to install OMV_3_0_92_Odroidxu4_4.9.61.img.xz, followed your instructions but got an error during 'nand-sata-install'.

When I choose to format the EMMC to EXT4, and an error appears during formatting (bad sectors, bad blocks, etc). Installation continues and files are copied from SD to EMMC.

If you didn't see the error, it all looks good. But... The system will not boot after removing SD and turning switch to EMMC boot.

I also tried EXT3. Same story...

Then I saw your screenshots and decided to format to BTRFS also... Then it worked!

No error during formatting and the system boots normal after removing SD and turning switch to EMMC boot.

Maybe it's something that you have to check, and maybe it can help others too.

• Well, nand-sata-install needs a lot of adjustments but most probably we'll write a new tool from scratch and drop all the unnecessary backwards compatibility that makes touching this tool a PITA. Current version of the tool can not transfer btrfs to ext4 but this should be already workarounded upstream (only allowing btrfs as destination when source is also btrfs). Did you do an 'apt upgrade' before?

And please keep in mind how the eMMC is seated. Tiny contacts needing full contact and even little pieces of dirt leading to 'storage failures'. Especially the combination of grease and dust is great (guess what's on our fingers). I would also assume that the count of matings before the connector starts to fail is pretty low.

• Quick performance comparison between HC2 with 3.5" HDD and an EspressoBin with same HDD: https://forum.armbian.com/topi…ab=comments#comment-46177

The USB overhead is relevant when sequential writes and reads happen with small block sizes (think of 'lots of small files', eg. unpacking a huge archive with tons of files) while the usual pseudo-benchmarks will show identical performance between the HC2 and a true/fast SATA port.

• Hi,
    I've stumbled upon a strange issue since I migrated from ryecoaaron omv-build to the Armbian based omv3.
    It seems that mv doesn't rewrite the inode, but instead performs copy/remove which as you understand is very slow. Space shouldn't be an issue since there is roughly 1.1 Tb free, and the source and dest.-directories are within the same ext4-partition
    The storage is ext4-formated, so is boot. While the system is btrfs to work around the sd -> emmc quirk.

mv issue

Thanks to you and Ryecoaaron for your work!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!