OMV 3 for ODROID-XU4/HC1/HC2/MC1

• Do i have to install omv on each of the devices ?

Of course. And what you're thinking about (cluster filesystems) is nothing I could recommend with this type of device. AFAIK none of this stuff (Ceph, GlusterFS and friends) is available with OMV anyway so in case you want to go this route better join https://forum.odroid.com/viewforum.php?f=92 -- IIRC there were some users around playing with such stuff, maybe it was even featured in an ODROID magazine already.

But such clustering stuff is definitely off-topic with OMV :)

• Try to use Etcher. No need to extract the file.

If that does not work either, check your card with H2testw.

Tested using H2testw and no issues write and verify ok. Card works with my Odroid C2 (Flashed Android image fine).
    I've RMA'd this Odroid HC2 and just got it back, Odroid says it works.
    Tested every SDcard i have and it just does not work, even with the default Ubuntu 4.14 image, am starting to wonder if this Odroid HC2 board is just funked. So disappointed as i have been using 2x Odroid C2 absolutely fine and no dead boards.

• Hello,
    I´ve installed OMV on an Odroid HC2. I intended to use a 1 TB Samsung Evo 840 SSD in the first place, but after I mounted the SSD within the WebGUI, i got "Communication Failure" Pop-ups all the time. There was no chance of configuring OMV anymore. I then tried a smaller SSD (Samsung Evo 860 256 GB), but it had the same problems.
    The third try was an ordinary 1 TB 2,5" HDD drive that is running without any problems since 7 days.

Is there a general problem with SSDs in OMV and/or the odroid hardware?

Thanks,
    Philipp

• Is there a general problem with SSDs in OMV and/or the odroid hardware?

Neither/nor, I tested almost all the time only with SSDs on these devices. No issues whatsoever. I hope you realized that HC1 and HC2 are not really hot-swap capable? Disks should be attached only when the device is powered down.

As a general recommendation not that specific to your individual issue: simply follow the readme.txt at the download location (using only Etcher to write the image and not decompressing it prior to that) and you might also check the usual issues people run into:

• SD card or installation faulty
    • power supply insufficient

Further readings:

In case your individual issue is not already resolved (SSDs now working) it would be needed to provide 'armbianmonitor -u' output after such an unsuccesful attempt.

• Hi, I have downladed OMV_3_0_92_Odroidxu4_4.9.61.img.xz = e349f2fa1acebdeede8210b0ff7e9959 and used Etcher to flash that image onto a 16GB card. Starting the HC1 in my network it'll come up with LED red and green on and blue and yellow blinking. Wait about 30 minutes and longer and do not find the IP on my Fritz, nor with AngryIP. Also not after a restart. (tried another image ubuntu-16.04.3-4.14-minimal-odroid-xu4-20171213.img.xz = 6544253d0fbd1a334e632605df5f08c0 with same issue)
    Any Idea what I do wrong? Does the SD size matter??? Thanks,
    Christoph

• I've just recently got the new HC2 device and I'm getting the exact same issues as a lot of other people, i.e. there's never an IP address. Right now I've decided to order the special usb/UART device so I can try to work out just what on earth is going on. Really hard to try to figure out with no display! (I am not sure, but *hopefully* it should be as simple as plugging it in, connect the other end to a PC and then try e.g. screen /dev/ttyUS0 115200) .

For now my guess is that there is either one of two things going on -- either my HC2 device has a faulty ethernet connector or the hardware in the HC2 is not compatible with the XU4 (maybe it's that JMS USB to SATA chip messing things up or prehaps the 'newer' HC2 boards have some different or updated chip somewhere?). I tried downloading the file on the front page of this thread - I then wrote it to a micro sd card - and could not get the HC2 to connect; no IP address. I then disconnected my odroid XU4 and tried its micro sd card in the HC2 - still no IP address. I should note btw that the XU4 works fine and will give an IP address with that micro sd card (it's using an already set up version of OMV again from the link on the front page of this thread).

I do not think it is a micro sd or MD4 issue -- I've tried seveal micro sd cards and the MD4 sum was good, but still not working.

I think I might also be able to eliminate a power supply problem as well -- there's no IP address no matter if a hard drive is connected to the HC2 or not.

Hopefully it isn't a faulty ethernet connector -- if I connect it into my network the ethernet connector on the HC2 (the right hand LED) is orange; the left hand one isn't on at all). If I connect the HC2 to a PC with just a normal ethernet cable the left hand LED is blue; the right hand one isn't on.

According to odroid's website both the XU4 and HC2 use the same ethernet chip, the RTL8153. But according to this website there's also a USB to SATA chip - the JMS578. Might that be the issue?

Also a quick question here -- if that image is looking for some sort of internal flash might that be the problem as far as I am aware the HC2 dosen't have any (so might it be looking for flash memory that isn't there?).

ljones

• I'm getting the exact same issues as a lot of other people

Such 'observations' are the best way to fool yourself. Stop thinking about that you have a serious issue since 'a lot of other people' report similar issues. Better focus on what's going on in your installation and don't mix observation with interpretation.

• XU4, HC1, HC2 and MC1 are fully software compatible. It's the same hardware from a software point of view, the SATA controller is just a device permanently attached to the USB bus and the internal hub is missing. Nothing that 'confuses' any other component
    • the above image is tested on XU4, HC1 and HC2 and runs on thousands of these devices flawlessly
    • Usually the vast majority of 'software problems' users report are either power supply or SD card related
    • On all these ODROIDs the RTL8153 network adapter holds an own MAC address in non-volatile memory. So each ODROID gets an own MAC address and so in environments with DHCP an own IP address

Try to follow the readme.txt at the download location, verify image checksum, use only Etcher with uncompressed image, check for the leds when the board will be powered. On HC1/HC2 there should be a red solid led indicating power and a blue one starting to flash once the kernel is loaded.

If an OS image from an XU4 is used on another ODROID with DHCP the other ODROID won't have the same IP address for reasons explained above.

https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/software/omv_nas/eng/eng

• Some good points there! Though so far I still haven't gotten very far - just been trying it out again.

I tried both using dd and etcher btw but I got the exact same result ( I remember a while back when I first wrote the microsd for the XU4 I just used dd after decompressing the .xz file -- that worked). I've also been trying out "angry IP" ( I did not try it for the HC2 or etcher for the XU4 a while back as they both looked like they were some sort of propietary pieces of software) .

No joy so far, no IP not being detected. I do have 3 LEDs on the HC2. There's a green LED (closest to the SATA port although for now I'm just trying without a hard drive connected). There is also a red LED and a blue LED which flashes twice, then nothing then flashes twice over and over (that's the 'heartbeat'?).

The network port on my PC is configured as 192.168.1.8 . Was hoping (right now I'm using a clean downloaded image not just the one from my XU4) that the HC2 would get a 192.168.1.x IP address, but there's nothing.

I'm also trying a different power supply for the HC2 but no change.

ljones

• I took the card out of the HC2 and had a look around. I found some trouble at the beginning of /var/log/bootstrap.log

and later (just posting a small amount here)

ljones

• There is also a red LED and a blue LED which flashes twice, then nothing then flashes twice over and over (that's the 'heartbeat'?).

Yes, kernel loaded and everything fine. Next step: Connect to the machine. If your DHCP server supports dynamic DNS updates then accessing http://odroidxu4 or doing 'ping odroidxu4' in a terminal should work.

/var/log/bootstrap.log is irrelevant BTW.

• I'm not sure if the DHCP server has dynamic DNS -- I'm just using the basic tools such as ifconfig, dhcpcd and dhclient to try this out. I did try to use dhcpcd by doing "dhcpcd enp1s0 &" (the erhernet port on the PC I'm using has a weird name!). That then set the PC's IP address (it is connected to the HC2) to "169.254.192.63" which looks like a bit of a weird IP address. But doing ping odroidxu4 didn't seem to work -- I got "ping: odroidxu4: temporary failure in name resolution".

No success, alas. Though I'm not sure quite *how* I got that IP address. But an IP address scan with angry IP didn't get anywhere. :(

ljones

• All the ARM OMV images are meant to be set up the following way: connect the board to a network with working DCHP and Internet access (normal installations). OMV will boot up, does some updates, reboots, done. It will simply work.

If you prefer to perform an 'expert installation' with no normal network but something special then you need to be an expert and also need serial console access and know how link-local networking is supposed to work (using the 169.254.0.0/16 network address range if there's no DHCP server since those non-rout able addresses are just made for this purpose: link-local without access to other network like the Internet)

Simply try the normal non-complicated way and you're done.

• Ok I decided to go back to square one in the end. Redownloaded, checked and reflashed and decided to start off again with the XU4 (at least it has a display if something goes wrong!). And lo and behold that dosen't seem to want to get an IP address!

So maybe it is the system I'm using dosen't for some reason have a DHCP client? (It's just a normal debian stretch system, x86-64 with a KDE plasma desktop and networkmanager). Just to clarify (unless I'm going mad) there has to be a DHCP server somewhere and the OMV software gets an IP from that?

I did try using the "automatic" settings for wired ethernet/IPv4 on the system I'm using (deb stretch) (that's how I'm connecting to the XU4) but no luck.

(It did work however if I manaually set the IP address of OMV/XU4 to e.g. ifconfig eth0 192.168.1 and then set a PC to (for example) 192.168.1.5 - without DHCP, just manual).

Then I went back to the HC2. Put the micro sd card back in (checked to make sure no settings were changed; network set to DHCP) but I could not get any IP address on my linux box. In the end I dug out an old laptop which still had window$ XP on it (I don't use windows any more but this just an old unused but working laptop). It too in xp with the firewall disabled and DHCP enabled does not appear to get an IP address ("Limited or no connectivity").

ljones

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!