OMV 3 for ODROID-XU4/HC1/HC2/MC1

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• ljones wrote:

Just to clarify (unless I'm going mad) there has to be a DHCP server somewhere and the OMV software gets an IP from that?
      Yes. So why not stopping your experiments with direct cable connections to another PC and simply attaching your device to any normal network where it gets an IP address from the DHCP server running on the Internet access router? These OMV images are meant to be set up in an easy way. You don't need to fiddle around with anything, simply connect it to any normal network and you're done.

ljones wrote:

It too in xp with the firewall disabled and DHCP enabled does not appear to get an IP address ("Limited or no connectivity").
      You would need an DHCP server there and not a client. Windows can provide this (Internet Sharing) but it's decades ago that I used Windows in such a mode so am not of any help here.
    • Yes. So why not stopping your experiments with direct cable connections to another PC and simply attaching your device to any normal network where it gets an IP address from the DHCP server running on the Internet access router? These OMV images are meant to be set up in an easy way. You don't need to fiddle around with anything, simply connect it to any normal network and you're done.

.......yep. Pretty much. I've dug out an old router to try and use -- I can't use my normal main router as a) it is in use (connected to the internet) and b) it's really *hard* for me to phyiscally reach the thing. So I'm trying with an old netgear WGR614v8 router which as DCHP server support (192.168.1.100-199).

Mind you we all live in hopes and if it does work I'll probably set the HC2 to a static IP address. I must confess I was hoping I could get away with just a few simple commands for dhcp server on a normal debian box, alas not!

.... but it's decades ago that I used Windows in such a mode so am not of any help here.

I don't use windows either it was just an old unused laptop. I think another family member might have installed XP on it, can't remember! Been a long time.....

Random thought: I think I first tried to do networking back the late 90s with Windows 98. That was truly, truly painful x.x .

Update : OMV now working on HC2 all working ok :) .

ljones

The post was edited 1 time, last by ljones ().

• tkaiser wrote:

With this latest OMV image also nand-sata-install to transfer the OMV installation over to a HDD or SSD is finally working. But you should keep in mind that this will prevent disk sleep with HDDs (please check also the JMS578 spindown firmware issue that is about to be resolved soon). And you must keep in mind that you need to create partitions on a connected disk first otherwise OMV won't allow you to use this disk also for data later! So a good recommendation could be to use 2 partitions: 10GB for the OS and the rest for data.
      After running OMV2/3 on RPi2 and RPi3 for a few years, I am waiting for delivery of a pair of Odroid HC2 to replace them (I might have gone with Rock64 Transformer if they had one that took 3.5" drives). I have ordered 4 x decent micro-SD cards to do the booting (2 live + 2 hot spares). Now the 10 million dollar question is "which is better - to run OMV from the SD card and let the data disk sleep when not in use, or run OMV from a partition on the data disk and let it spin all the time day and night and just use the SD card to boot?"
    • vinntec wrote:

Now the 10 million dollar question is "which is better - to run OMV from the SD card and let the data disk sleep when not in use, or run OMV from a partition on the data disk and let it spin all the time day and night and just use the SD card to boot?"
      Since the images have the flashmemory plugin installed AND you have backup AND you purchased good SD cards, there is no reason to not use the SD cards.
      omv 4.1.8.2 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.8
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

Please read this before posting a question.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • Hi,

I just bought an Odroid HC2.
      I was burning the OMV_3_0_92_Odroidxu4_4.9.61.img.xz image using etcher.
      If I plug the in the HC2 the blue and the green leds are blinking, but not the leds on the ethernet port.
      I was trying 3 different cable and 3 different switches, but leds remain dark, I guess I have a hardware issue. :(

Does anyone an idea what else could I try?

Thank you.

Regards,
      Tamas
    • footy wrote:

Hi,

I just bought an Odroid HC2.
      I was burning the OMV_3_0_92_Odroidxu4_4.9.61.img.xz image using etcher.
      If I plug the in the HC2 the blue and the green leds are blinking, but not the leds on the ethernet port.
      I was trying 3 different cable and 3 different switches, but leds remain dark, I guess I have a hardware issue. :(

Does anyone an idea what else could I try?

Thank you.

Regards,
      Tamas
      On the two I recently installed, one of them kept losing the network connection until I "wiggled" the cable slightly. Since then they have both run fine, no problem. Just look for the yellow LED (there is only one) coming on which will tell you that you are on the right track (of course this assumes the other end is enabled).