OMV 3 for ODROID-XU4/HC1/HC2/MC1

• chatzakis wrote:

Apparently it transfers everything through the laptop and back to the external drive which is extremely slow and takes forever...
      The external disk uses USB2 which limits transfer speeds to below 37 MB/s, your internal disk is a 2.5" one so bottlenecked to ~80-90MB/s over the entire surface, the network is bottlenecked to ~70-100MB/s based on how large the files are. If you copy through network the most relevant bottleneck is still USB2 for the external disk and this will be the same when copying locally. I doubt times will change that much in this situation.

chatzakis wrote:

If I get the HC2 with the 3.5" support will it work straight away if I plug in the microSD from the HC1???
      The OS will work out of the box but if you didn't assign a static IP address then a DHCP assigned address will change (due to different MAC address). Your shares have to be redefined since the mountpoint of the disk will change too (check current mountpoint below /srv/ and see how 'internal' and 'external' differ)
    • chatzakis wrote:

Hi to all.
      I bought a couple of months ago an HC1 and have been running it on OMV on a microSD card.
      It's been working perfectly so far but as the 2.5" is rather small I have been having storage problems and decided to connect a USB 1TB drive.
      I'm mostly using it with transmission so the need for more space is increasing.
      I tried transferring files from the transmission folder to the external usb drive accessing everything from my win10 laptop where it shows as a network device.
      Apparently it transfers everything through the laptop and back to the external drive which is extremely slow and takes forever...
      Is there a faster way to do this internally so it goes straight to the usb drive, which I imagine will be a lot quicker???
      I'm sorry if it's a silly question but I haven't had much experience with servers...
      And another question if I may. If I get the HC2 with the 3.5" support will it work straight away if I plug in the microSD from the HC1???
      And if yes, I imagine I'll have to delete all shares on the OMV on HC1 before powering it off and the recreating everything on HC2.
      What will be the best way to access data on the old 2.5" and transfer them to the the new???
      Thank you in advance for your time
      Best Regards
      Kostas
      Shell+mc.

I personally use mc to touch files in a more graphical way than a command line.
      Check if you have active ssh and if you need root (depends on what access rights on the files). Log in to the shell, and install / run mc. It's quite straight ahead.
      I'm not an expert. I'm just a tourist here.

- ODROID-HC1 (Samsung Exynos5422, 2GB LPDDR3 RAM, Gigabit Ethernet)
      - Sandisk Ultra 16GB A1 "SDSQUAR-016G-GN6" (btrfs)
      - Samsung SpinPoint M8 1TB (ext4)
      - OMV 4.1.11 / ARMBIAN 5.60 + Kernel 4.14.69
    • tkaiser wrote:

chatzakis wrote:

If I get the HC2 with the 3.5" support will it work straight away if I plug in the microSD from the HC1???
      The OS will work out of the box but if you didn't assign a static IP address then a DHCP assigned address will change (due to different MAC address). Your shares have to be redefined since the mountpoint of the disk will change too (check current mountpoint below /srv/ and see how 'internal' and 'external' differ)

From pure curiosity. Is HC1 exactly the same as HC2? Is the difference only on this housing / heat sink?
      If someone removed the HC1 from the case and just connected to 3.5 sata, will it work? If they are identical, it should work...

• Mr.Grape wrote:

Is HC1 exactly the same as HC2?
      Nope, since 3.5" HDDs need 5V and 12V at the same time HC2 wants to be fed with 12V while HC1 unfortunately wants 5V (that's why underpowering hassles are possible with HC1).

On HC2 there's therefore some DC-DC circuitry to generate the 5V from 12V which generates slightly more heat (so it's ok that thermal readouts of both boards differ slightly at same load -- the DC-DC circuitry sits next to the SoC and dissipates heat into the PCB)
    • tkaiser wrote:

Mr.Grape wrote:

Is HC1 exactly the same as HC2?
      Nope, since 3.5" HDDs need 5V and 12V at the same time HC2 wants to be fed with 12V while HC1 unfortunately wants 5V (that's why underpowering hassles are possible with HC1).

On HC2 there's therefore some DC-DC circuitry to generate the 5V from 12V which generates slightly more heat (so it's ok that thermal readouts of both boards differ slightly at same load -- the DC-DC circuitry sits next to the SoC and dissipates heat into the PCB)

Sounds sensible.

So it's just about power? And what if to use cables and connect only communication to HC1 and power from a separate power supply. You think that such a combination will work?

Theoretically pure in the field of "proof of concept". :)

• Thank you very much for the replies!!!
      This is what I get when trying to install mc

root@vault:~# apt install mc Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree
      Reading state information... Done
      You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
      The following packages have unmet dependencies:
      curl : Depends: libcurl3 (= 7.38.0-4+deb8u11) but it is not going to be installed
      mc : Depends: mc-data (= 3:4.8.13-3) but it is not going to be installed
      php5-curl : Depends: libcurl3 (>= 7.18.0) but it is not going to be installed
      E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

And basically I get a ton of errors when trying to do
      apt-get update or apt-get upgrade
      mostly about dependencies
      I tried the apt-get clean
      then apt-get -f install
      but still no luck with anything...

Any help????