UrBackup client for an omv NAS

• Hi,

I'd like to backup one omv to another by UrBackup. Is this possible basically? And if, what client do I need on the omv to be backuped?

Private NAS: Asus P9D-I + Xeon E3-1220L CPU + 8GB ECC RAM + LSI SAS2108 HBA + 4x8TB BTRFS RAID 10 + OMV 4 booting from single SLC SSD
    Private experimental NAS: Asus P9D-I + i3-4130T CPU + 8GB ECC RAM + 3x10 BTRFS RAID5 + OMV 5 beta booting from single SLC SSD

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is a urbackup Linux client but it is command line only - read

Why not use rsync? That is what I use.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks. I'll take a look at it.

Why I want to use UrBackup? Just because of it's charming server GUI, which lets me plan full and differential backups far more easily than a rsync script ;) Provided, server finds the clients and can connect to them...

Private NAS: Asus P9D-I + Xeon E3-1220L CPU + 8GB ECC RAM + LSI SAS2108 HBA + 4x8TB BTRFS RAID 10 + OMV 4 booting from single SLC SSD
    Private experimental NAS: Asus P9D-I + i3-4130T CPU + 8GB ECC RAM + 3x10 BTRFS RAID5 + OMV 5 beta booting from single SLC SSD

• Offizieller Beitrag

far more easily than a rsync script

I'm not using a script. I have an rsyncd module enabled on one server and rsync job on the other. rsync is full on the first sync and only syncs changed files on future runs. Works great and obviously it has great web interface (OMV for both).

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Well, I know rsync from a former suse-based server-backup setup. And it needed a carefully developed and tested script to do what I wanted...

As I read your reply, running rsync for periodical full and differential backups in the meantime may not need as special scripts as I needed formally?

• Offizieller Beitrag

As I read your reply, running rsync for periodical full and differential backups in the meantime may not need as special scripts as I needed formally?

It needs no scripts - Rsync two OMV machines

• @macom

Thanks, Duplicati could be interesting, but not for my actual backup project.

@ryecoaaron

I read the article, you linked, and I think, I understood. But it still does not seem to solve my task without extranous scripts or hasardous cron jobs to delete or move away current backup - to get a new full backup periodically, say every few month, and not once for ever. Or do I still understand something completely wrong?

• Offizieller Beitrag

But it still does not seem to solve my task without extranous scripts or hasardous cron jobs to delete or move away current backup - to get a new full backup periodically, say every few month, and not once for ever. Or do I still understand something completely wrong?

You just need the rsnapshot plugin then. You sync the main server to the backup server. Then use rsnapshot on the backup server to get hourly, daily, weekly, monthly, yearly snapshots of that folder.

Or you could do what I do - use rsnapshot on the main server to a different drive and I rsync to a backup server nightly. Plus I occasionally backup to an external USB drive and LTO tape.

• Thank you, I think, I'll give rsnapshot and backup plugins a try for server backup. I don't beleive, that I can convince the rest of admin team of keeping extra backup media in mind all the time ;)

Nevertheless I'll still play around some more with urbackup - it's just a cool backup system for non-linux PCs.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!