WebUI to show hostname?

• Hi.

Guys has anyone ever before did a modification to the OMV administration interface, to show the administered server hostname? I have 3 OMV servers on my network that serves mostly windows clients. Whenever I have to do some configurations on them simultaneously it is easy to mistake which server is which among the open tabs. Can anyone tell me where to look for this kind of modification?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can't you see your URL bar? I have multiple tabs open at once and haven't had this issue.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I'm using a mikrotik based network so no dnsmasq on the local dns server, and thanks to that I always have to keep it in mind what is the ip of the servers that I have to edit. Or I have to edit the hosts file on every clients that I use. But really what is the problem of wanting a little more functionality/ease of use? The top bar on the interface have a lot of space to show the actual server identifications, and as far as I know the WebUI uses CSS so it shouldn't be that difficult to modify it. I only asked for some pointers as to where should I look. Also now I only have 3 servers for now, but in the near future it will be 5 (Still it is not too much to remember, but what is the use of being able to modify Linux if you are not taking advantage of it?)

Edit: I almost forgot. On my main client the URL bar is real tiny because of the high resolution display (the web page content is zoomed in but the bar is the same size)

• Offizieller Beitrag

But really what is the problem of wanting a little more functionality/ease of use?

I only asked for some pointers as to where should I look

Why so angry? I can't change it and the request has been shot down before (for the reason I mentioned if I remember correctly). I wouldn't have guessed you didn't have functioning DNS. As for pointers where to look, I don't know. This would need more than a CSS change and any change you make would be overwritten with each update.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• I apologise if I came on strong this was not my intent. It is more of a habitual reflex because of my previous experiences when someone is dismissing the issue outright. As for the DNS yeah... I really love mikrotik. The wide configurability and reliability, but it sure has some very stupid shortcomings.

"As for pointers where to look, I don't know. This would need more than a CSS change and any change you make would be overwritten with each update."

I did completely understand that from the start. Every modifications I make, will need readjustment on updates, and that is fine. The original reason I was asking for pointers is to get a deeper understanding of how the system works so I can make the modifications myself. Because if I wanted a quick and dirty solution to the problem then the easiest would be, to simply modify the Open Media Vault logo image file on each server (Which I should do if all other routes fail) but in a way that seemed a little sacrilegious to me.

Edit: "I can't change it and the request has been shot down before" Can you point me to where this thread was on the forum? I can't seem to find it ?(

• Offizieller Beitrag

As for the DNS yeah... I really love mikrotik. The wide configurability and reliability, but it sure has some very stupid shortcomings.

Why not run the dnsmasq plugin on OMV for dns then?

I did completely understand that from the start. Every modifications I make, will need readjustment on updates, and that is fine. The original reason I was asking for pointers is to get a deeper understanding of how the system works so I can make the modifications myself. Because if I wanted a quick and dirty solution to the problem then the easiest would be, to simply modify the Open Media Vault logo image file on each server (Which I should do if all other routes fail) but in a way that seemed a little sacrilegious to me.

If you drop a file called omv-custom.css in /var/www/openmediavault/css/, you can override the css without being overwritten by updates. Maybe you could add the system name that way. As for removing the logo, I add a custom css file that remove the logo to free up more screen space on my test VMs.

• Simple

Zitat von ryecoaaron

Why not run the dnsmasq plugin on OMV for dns then?

Simple. The OMV Servers are not always on since there are 3 and I need to conserve power. But the router the switches and accesspoints are individually powered by UPS's, so those are always on even at power outages. (There is a possible solution for my situation but it produced some errors for me and for now I haven't been able to find out why yet)

Zitat von ryecoaaron

If you drop a file called omv-custom.css in /var/www/openmediavault/css/, you can override the css without being overwritten by updates. Maybe you could add the system name that way. As for removing the logo, I add a custom css file that remove the logo to free up more screen space on my test VMs.

Thanks I will try that. :thumbup:

• Okay so.

The first method I mentioned works. If we modify the .svg file under "/var/www/openmediavault/images/header_logo.svg" than the server name can be added instead of the logo. (The .svg file can be tricky, because I was unable to edit it with anything else other than Inkscape).

So on to the next step: The .css file! I was a bit confused when I saw 3 .css files in "/var/www/openmediavault/css" named: theme-all.css , theme-gray.css , theme-triton.css . But after looking trough the code I suspect that the theme-all.css is the one referring to the header and background at the login and the main page.

In the theme-all.css I found 2 code part, which if I duplicate with different alignment can put one more box to the page that shows a server identifier. The big question is:

Whether this can only be an image or a text, and if it can be a text than can it be a linked to the page that shows the hostname?

(In the system information page the hostname shows)

Because if it is possible to link the text, than one modified .css is enough to make the modifications that I want! Than nobody (who wants to have this mod) has to make separate .svg files for each server. But I'm not ashamed to admit that I have forgotten a lot (if not all) about php css programming. So if anyone can tell me if this is possible than please say so.

Here is the code part for the login page:

and here is the part for the header:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!