How to replace disk in RAID5 when resync in progress

• Hello!
    I have 4 x WD30EFRX in RAID5 soft array.
    Now array in resync status:

It seems that resync can't be done because /dev/sdb stops responding on command smartctl -a /dev/sdb. Other disks are responding on it.
    The last result of this command:

I have new disk for replace, but how to safely replace /dev/sdb without data loss?

• Re,

it depends ... on which drive the resync started. If the resync-causing error comes from drive sdb, the you can change that drive - but you have to be very careful!
    (1st you have to mark the drive manually as "failed" the wait until the array calms down ... then swap and rebuild ...)

Check the logs, what causes the resync and check the logs for (other) drive errors ... then backup your data and then you can try to swap the drive.

Sc0rp

• Thanks. The end of my story: after 2 days waiting resync wos done (from 99,6% to 100%). So, in Active array state i marked /dev/sdb as failed, shutted down the server, swapped /dev/sdb with new one. When I turned on the server, resync process started automatically. It tooks less then 1 day. Now it's all right.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!