RAID gone...

• Hi experts!
    As a newbie on RaspberryPi I try to build a NAS on model 3 with OpenMediaVault 3088.
    Downloading and installing: no big problem.
    I use, for the time being en to play with a hobby, two USB thumpdrives, SanDisk Cruzer 16GB each. (USB2)
    A Mirror (RAID1) was planned.
    First I found out there is a need to build the apropriate RAID. Difficult enough, needed a Windows10 PC to wipe the volumes on the sticks, before OMV recognized them.
    Next was to put a file system on them, then mount the assembly. So far so good, I thought.
    But, next morning all of my work was in vain, there was no RAID anymore, no drives were mounted anymore. They still exist in the fysical drive list.
    What do I do wrong?

Next question will be: how can I put files on the NAS from remote computers and get them from there? How can I reach my NAS from the outside world via Internet?
    Thanks for any helpfull input!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Difficult enough, needed a Windows10 PC to wipe the volumes on the sticks, before OMV recognized them.

Did you try to wipe them in the physical disks tab? Windows definitely should not be needed.

there was no RAID anymore, no drives were mounted anymore.

First, I wouldn't use raid on usb drives or a raspberry pi or usb sticks. Second, did you create a raid array and format it or did you put a filesystem on each stick? Finally, if you did create an array and format it, did you mount the filesystem and apply (to write fstab)?

how can I put files on the NAS from remote computers and get them from there?

There are lots of ways but I enable ssh, open the ssh port in my firewall, and use WinSCP with Windows or scp on Linux.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for your rapid reply!
    Yes, the second time I used to wipe the "disks" in the fysical drives tab.
    Then I went on to the RAID management tab to build an array. I see the two "drives" listed.
    Building a Mirror array takes almost an hour......
    So, I'll be back on that, afterwards.

I use two thumbdrives just to play and start with, to see if I can get around it in an economical way. Once I'll be confident, I plan to replace them with two SSD drives, in a Mirror array too.
    The goal so far is to see if I can get it to work.
    Thanks.

• Ready!
    It says: /dev/md0 EXT4 and Mounted.

I did nothing to put the file system EXT4 on the array, nor did I actively mount it. It just happened.

Am I ready now to use it? How do I put content on it?

Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I did nothing to put the file system EXT4 on the array, nor did I actively mount it. It just happened.

Creating an array will not put a filesystem on it and mount it. You will have to go to the Filesystems tab, create it, and mount it. Otherwise, the fstab entry will never be created.

And even if you use ssds, please don't use raid on usb drives on an arm board. raid is about redundancy which is pretty much not what an arm board is for. Just use an rsync job to sync the two drive. You will have a lot less issues.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

You did note what ryecoarron said about RAID, USB drives, and Raspberry PI's, right? Do so at your own risk. If you have odd or intermittent problems, or if the array fails, you'll know why.

To add content, you'll need to create a shared folder, and then use SMB/CIF to advertise the share on your network. Here's a link to the basic process. NAS If you have a mounted file system, pick it up at "Creating A Shared Folder".

If you want to make sure there are no permissions problems, in the Add Shared Folder dialog use the permission of: Everyone read/write. (That's not the best security practice but it will give you something to work with, and you can tighten it down later.)
    Also, accept the default path. There's no reason to change it.

When you get to the SMB shares tab and set up the share;
    Where the dialog box says Public, select "Guests Allowed".

I'll be out of town for a few days, so I won't be able to immediately follow up.

Good Luck.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!