Best Backup Method

• Hey all, I've purchased an external drive to use for backing up my OMV volumes, and was wondering if there was an elegant plugin, or method to use for this task.

I've tried using "USB Backup", but it doesn't seem to recognize the formats I'm attempting to use.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

• Hi ColdShoulderMedia,
    using rsync to backup might be a way, too. Perhaps there are some more guides around in the forum? There I read, that some users rsync their data to a second NAS system via a schedule for rsync. However, perhaps rsnapshot plugin might be a way to go, too?

OpenMediaVault 6.x (most recent stable version) -- 64 bit -- OMV-Extras 6.x (most recent stable version) -- Default Kernel

• I've figured out how to use rsync to backup my files to another external, but it was very slow so now it is an internal that will get removed.

The big downside to rsync is the lack of any progress indicator, and the log file is MUCH to small to actually keep track of what's been done.

Also the download button for the log file doesn't seem to do anything.

• The first run of rsync copies everything. The next runs move only differences. You can not go faster than that (maybe on slow links with compression - also an option).

man rsync:

Code
    --progress
             This option tells rsync to print information showing the progress of the transfer. This
             gives a bored user something to watch.  With a modern rsync this
            is the same as specifying --info=flist2,name,progress, but any user-supplied settings 
            for  those  info  flags  takes  precedence  (e.g.  "--info=flist0  --progress").

You will also find options for logging in the man page.

• The big downside to rsync is the lack of any progress indicator

For anyone searching for an rsync progress indicator (nice progress bar in this case)... it's as easy as https://github.com/armbian/bui…nd-sata-install#L120-L126 (watch it in action)

Let rsync run in 'dry-run' mode to count files to be synced, then parse output when the real sync happens and calculate percentage. It's really that easy, just check the few highlighted lines above. And of course it does NOT waste any time for the 'dry run' since rsync has to stat every single file at both source and destination anyway and this stuff remains in Linux' filesystem cache. No time wasted.

BTW: this 'stat every single file at both source and destination' every time rsync runs is also the reason why no one right in his mind uses rsync still in 2017 for such sync purposes if it's not really necessary. There exist snapshot capable filesystems like zfs and btrfs that allow to do a 'zfs send|receive' (with btrfs it's surprisingly 'btrfs send|receive' instead) that save all this unnecessary filesystem stress on both sides. Take a snapshot, send it, done. No matter whether the changes are a few MB or GB, no matter how huge the filesystems are, snapshot creation is done within less than a second and transferring the snapshot happens immediately after.

• tkaiser, that's a very cool progress bar, but I've got the rsync set up in the webGUI now, so I'm not sure that i could use that in conjunction the web interface.

My current issue is that I'm getting an rsync error email trying to mount the disk to do a backup on every startup. I s'pose I can just disable the job while I've got the disk removed, even though it's set to manual.

• I am not as technical as most on this site and have read until my eyes are sore. In simple terms I just want to be able to backup my server to keep everything safe. There is a combination of movies, music and lots of documents and photos, about 2 tb. I have read so much I get more confused. Is there just a simple way I can keep my main drive backed up if I do experience a failure. It was simple with Windows home server doing software raid but from what I read don't even want or need raid so please advise in simple terms. Thanks in advance.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    • Use the USB Backup plugin to safe your data on a regular basis to an external drive and keep the drive pysically separate from your sever, or a bit more complex
    • Safe your data to the cloud (pcloud, backblaze or something else) e.g. using Duplicati

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!