Directly Connected OMV Hosts Unable to Ping Each Other

• Hi, I have two OMV NASes and a Windows computer connected directly to each other (peer-to-peer, no router) using 10Gbe cards and DAC cables (see example: https://www.smallnetbuilder.co…-10gbe-metal?limitstart=0 ). My Windows computer is able to ping to each static IP address assigned to the NASes in the Network menu, but the NASes are not able to ping each other and this is affecting other things like mounting remote shares.

How should I solve this? Thanks!

• Re,

so you have to alter the KRT (kernel routing table) if not done already, or use "host routes" (will be derived from hosts-file).
    And maybe you have to add a forwarding-rule in iptabels too ...

Sc0rp

• Re,

so you have to alter the KRT (kernel routing table) if not done already, or use "host routes" (will be derived from hosts-file).
    And maybe you have to add a forwarding-rule in iptabels too ...

Sc0rp

Funny thing is that I didn't do any of these and I am able to connect the machines to the other respective machines' network drives

What do these do though?

• Re,

it's routing, so consult at first:
    route -n
    on your Linux boxes - then you'll see :D ... but it should only work to the "next hop" adresses.

I assume you have the construct NAS1 <-DAC-> Windows-PC <-DAC-> NAS2 - so you can not ping from NAS1 to NAS2, right?

Sc0rp

• My network is more like this:

NAS1 <-DAC-> Windows-PC
    NAS2 <-DAC-> Windows-PC
    NAS1 <-DAC-> NAS2

Before setting each link as their own subnet instead of all under one subnet, Windows-PC can ping both NAS1 and NAS2, but NAS1 and NAS2 can't ping to any machine

• Re,

Before setting each link as their own subnet instead of all under one subnet, Windows-PC can ping both NAS1 and NAS2, but NAS1 and NAS2 can't ping to any machine

That sounds really weired. But in your construction i would prefer using one (sub-) net for the 10G-cards. In this case it can be nessecary anyway to tweak the KRT, since i dunno, how the kernel derives the routinginfo from networkinfo in detail. (I would do "try and error").

In the setup with subnets on each link - how do you ping the other machine? With hostnames or ip-adresses?

Sc0rp

• Re,

That sounds really weired. But in your construction i would prefer using one (sub-) net for the 10G-cards. In this case it can be nessecary anyway to tweak the KRT, since i dunno, how the kernel derives the routinginfo from networkinfo in detail. (I would do "try and error").
    In the setup with subnets on each link - how do you ping the other machine? With hostnames or ip-adresses?

Sc0rp

I prefer to try just one subnet again since that makes more sense but it will take a while more as I am currently rebuilding NAS1 and Windows-PC, which means that I will reinstall Windows and OMV.

I ping using ip addresses as if I ping using hostnames, the Gigabit NIC of the machines will get the ping instead of the 10 Gbe NICs

• Re,

I ping using ip addresses as if I ping using hostnames, the Gigabit NIC of the machines will get the ping instead of the 10 Gbe NICs

Yeah, that's correct. DNS is working :D

Did you tried the brigde-solution? May be it is better in your environment, but i don't know how it works on asymmetric links ...

It is not easy with overlayed networks at all, and i'm not a pro in point-to-point networks ...

Sc0rp

• I did consider bridging but am not sure how to do it in the GUI. I know how to bond more than one NIC though but I don't think I can bond the Gigabit NIC that is using a RJ45 port and connected to the Internet, with the 10 Gbe NICs that are using SFP+ ports and not connected to the Internet right?

• Re,

Bridging is not bonding ... and of course you can bond unequal links (bonding has several modes). But the routing issue remains - so my first conclusion to alter the KRT is nessecary in every way, but in different ways according to your preferred solution.

But with bridging you probably get the DNS-Problem fixed (one hostname with two ip-addresses) ... needs special routing too.

Btw:
    I had the same questions, as i got the chance to overlay my network with dual-10GBE-nics and DAC's ... since i work for a provider, DNS and routing are well known to me, but every solution has disadvantages - so i decided wo wait until a 10GBE-switch comes in buyable range for me ... till then i'll use the time over night and "jobbing" my tasks, so they won't affect my daily use in home-LAN. That's my solution.

Sc0rp

• I can try playing with the KRT once the rebuild of my NASes and computer is done, but I am not sure if this will affect OMV since usually it is not advised to do anything outside the GUI.

I too am aiming for the Netgear 10 Gbe switches that can bypass this and so many other problems but it's too bad they are way too expensive!

• Re,

I can try playing with the KRT once the rebuild of my NASes and computer is done, but I am not sure if this will affect OMV since usually it is not advised to do anything outside the GUI.

No, not unless you're knowing what you are doing ... since it's pure debian underlying.
    Btw. there is a plugin for that in OMV too: openmediavault-route (v3.1.4 currently).

Sc0rp

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!