NAS - Media Server

• Hello omv community

I've been lurking around the omv forum for a while now, trying to figure out a preferred build for a NAS/Media Server which complies to my requirements.
    Using other threads, online research and my requirements I've composed a build.

I have never build a NAS and would like some feedback on this build. Does it meet my requirements? What could/should I do differently?

Requirements

- playback of Movies/Tv shows to a Raspberry Pi
    - 1080p transcoding
    - Storage of family/vacation pictures (important for WAF)
    - Storage of personal documents
    - Redundancy AND backup of Pictures and documents
    - Download content automatically

Hardware

• OS: Sandisk Cruzer Fit 16 GB (maybe 2x and put them in RAID 1?) - I know about Plex Metadata taking up alot of space and will move the location.
    • Storage RAID1: Western Digital Red 2 TB (2x - used for pictures and documents)
    • Storage JBOD or RAID5?: Western Digital Red 4 TB (JBOD) or Western Digital Red 6 TB (RAID5) (4x - movies and tv shows)
      what would you guys recommend? JBOD or RAID5? Sort of on the fence here between "I can just download show X or movie Y again" and "will I be able to find X or Y again"
    • Case: Fractal Design Define Mini
    • Motherboard: ASRock Z270M Extreme4
    • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 8GB DDR4-3000
    • CPU: Intel Core i3 7100 - 3,9 Ghz
    • PSU: Be quiet! Pure Power 10 300W

Software

• OMV 3.x
    • Plex Media Server
    • Software used to create multiple raids
    • Software used to automatically download content
    • OpenVPN

-All advice/input/comment is welcome-

Thanks guys!

:thumbup:

• Hey there.
    The hardware looks good. Will easily run plex and be great for a storage server.
    You mentioned you want a backup of documents, pictures etc.... one thing I have learned from around here is that RAID doesn't equal a backup. It only provides file availability which in my opinion isn't important for home use.
    I myself use OMV for plex (and I use a RPI for the media player) and as a backup file server.
    My important data is backed up from my Mac (and externals) to OMV (via chronosync), then I have rsync jobs duplicate this on a second drive (as well as rsnapshot).
    Here is some great info from ryecoaaron.

https://forum.openmediavault.o…-RSync-Greyhole-or-other/

I also have time machine running on OMV as well.
    OMV runs fine on my old HP N40L.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!